Awkward moment?

in this case kiddo was in the ball pit and needed a hand to get out. I didn't see any other parential type unit nearby so of course I grabbed 'em under the arms and boosted em out and got hugged
smile.png
Perhaps mama bear was watching from across the room, but I may be a bit over protective, I'm within 10 feet of my little one at all times in public.

This thread kinda reminds me of when out cub scout pack was at the park. Other kids wanted to join in some of the games but our Cubmaster would not allow it. Afraid the Boy Scouts organization would be sued if a kid got hurt. Really sad. We had some really great games.

It also reminds me when I was helping my wife at an elementary school book fair. When taken a first grader to the area where the type of books he wanted were, he grabbed my hand and held on strong. I did not jerk my hand loose and look horrified. I squeezed back and smiled. Some kids are starved for any affection.

I'd have probably done the same thing you did. You have to trust there is some humanity in most people, but with me it would have been instinctive.

I don't think she had a problem with you at all. I think she's probably separated from the dad for some reason (deployment, other job somewhere, legally split) and she was embarassed that he brought it up and latched on to you. If she'd have had a problem with you, you'd know it. Mama (and Papa) Bears have no problems saying when someone's out of line. He could be missing Daddy fiercely, he could just be super friendly, he could by like our neighbor's son who has Asperger's and wants to hug everyone, which I love, personally. No matter what, I'm glad you helped him out and that you were rewarded with a hug.
smile.png

I'm not judging the mom's morality. When guessing scenarios, I was looking at the realm of possibilities for the mom's embarassment only; just a list of possibilities. I'm usually pretty good at guessing human behavior since I've worked with the general public for sooooooooo long. You know, the good, the bad, the crazy, etc....

The confusing part of this story that would make anyone feel wierd is that we teach our children about 'stranger danger' but can't diminish their natural expectation of kindness and affection. What we feel is the FEAR of public scrutiny for showing affection to a child that we don't know. It is possible that that 'mix' of human conditions (kindness and fear) is what Boyd felt that made him feel funny about the whole thing.

Like I said before, had I been there, I would have seen a nice man helping a little boy out of the ball pit in a moment of kindness and nothing more....

Quote:
that's perfect! I couldn't put words to it till I read that. It's just how I felt. We are taught and wired for stranger danger.. but parental instinct in me says kid needs a boost and a hug..

^And you can't override a child's instincts as well as you can override your own. They're more in tune... but as they are taught more and more to ignore that... becomes a catch-22... stranger bothers you you can't ask for help because the help's a stranger too.

But yeah, understand about the scrutiny... I've had kids run up and hug me... now at the school, where I volunteered... coached Y soccer, etc... okay... but out in Walmart... some random kid latching onto my legs?? Then parent comes over and I'm standing there arms in the air (so it doesn't appear I'm the instigator of this mess)... but at the same time I'm thinking "What the heck is so wrong in this kid's life that he's latching onto a total stranger?!?!"

Awkward is just right to describe it and at the same time not enough..

Back
Top Bottom