Awoke to a dead sex-link!!!

Doormantnt

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Glen Burnie, MD
Morning all.

Thought all was going well. This morning I go out to the coop, and one of my 1 1/2 yr old Black sexes is on the floor stiff and dead.

No sign of predator. Coop is secure, and nothing bigger then a 1/2 in can get in when locked up.

I went out at 7:30 last night and closed the pop door, and did a head count. All six alert and on roost. Then this morning, one dead on floor.

ANY IDEAS???????

any possible injury or diseses that would work that fast? Any thing I should be looking for (other then security)

I put her in the garage to go over when I get home from work. But quick assesment and no blood, no loose feathers, just on belly in the shavings.

Thanks for the insight.

TNT

Without a necropsy you may never know for certain what killed her. It is not unheard of for chickens to just randomly drop dead. They will show no signs of anything wrong one minute and be dead the next. It could have been anything. Chickens hide their ailments very well to prevent their flock from turning on them, which a flock will certainly do at the first sign of weakness.

Sorry for your loss.

Good point CMV. Never thought of that.

Just the nature of the beast I guess. But when you lose one sixth of my "flock" she will be missed...

No offense, I know some will say no matter how large the flock, they are all missed.

Guess I better hurry and get that bator together. Was thinking of trying to hatch out some eggs (bought no rooster) this spring. So I better get on the ball.

TNT

I have had that happen to me,fine the night before and dead in the morning.One of my black sexlinks, and ee, and a couple of silkies that has happened to in the past.Its sad when you find them like that,myEE was my favorite and she died in her sleep still had her eyes closed just fell off her roost.Some say heart attack.

Thanks for the replies, and insight.

I'm just concerned what happened. I need to do some investigation when I get back home. Just seems odd, alert and active then 12 hrs later stiff.

Any more ideas??

TNT

Wondering how cold it is there. Wouln't explain the death of this particular chicken necessarily but the cold can stress an already weak one. I am nervous going to the coop every morning as it has been about 0 degrees here. Did you ever run out of water or have it freeze? My condolences on your loss. I would also be devestated to lose one. Obviously I would take a close look at all of your others. Examine the poop you can see, check their water and food and check their crops and vents. Good luck!

Wasn't unbearably cold...nothing out of norm here. Mid 20's at night. Pretty draft free coop, cookie tin water heaters inside and outside in run. Food inside and out also. So no to froze water, or out of water or food. Temps were higher then normal acutally. She wasn't the "weak" low of the flock. She was middle of pecking order, and looked physically strong and heathly yesterday.

Poop seems normal, and consistant....Just gonna have to examine good today when I get home.

I want to look her over real good, and the remaining others when they go to roost. (bout only time I can grab them).

Thanks

TNT

Back
Top Bottom