Awwww! Poor Amazon :o(

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
My mom just rescued/bought a 9 yr old Amazon from some lady in CT. They had her in a TINY RUSTED parakeet cage with no perch. (she was sitting on paint can! ) She also had no toys at all in the cage. Her feathers are BAD looking.. very dull and ruffled. Shes missing a toe. Poor thing is just pathetic looking. Her original owners died.. and so these peoples niece took her... but she didnt want her. Still.. even if you dont want the animal you treat it right! She wanted her enough to SELL her and make money on her though...
somad.gif

I told my mother to not let her near her other parrots... i think she has scaly leg mites.... not sure if parrots get them or not?
I hate people sometimes...
hmm.png

Last edited:
They do get mites. I rescued an Yellow Crowned Amazon about 15 years ago. Same type of situation. The cage cups were so filthy I left them behind. I remember having to scrub down the cage and perches several times - it took hours. Casper? Became Maria. She is well over 40 years old and when I got her, she had been fed Black Oil Sunflower seed. All of her contur feathers were ringed in black due to her diet. I put her on fresh veggies, pelletes and rice & fruit. She has been to countless preschool & grade schools - we've tried to educate people on parrots and the negative results regarding importation of birds (which is no longer allowed). She has even been in a tv commerical for a local bank - she is a super star on so many, many, levels! She is still with us and doing great!

I hope your mom enjoys her new Amazon. They are wonderful birds. I'm so glad to hear he/she is in good hands.

Joni

My mother says shes doing good tonight...
She also told me her food dishes were moldy... how sick is that? How could you let an animal live like that,..
And she also said that the seeds the lady gave her looked moldy... (of course my mother threw everything out..)
Shes starting her on red palm oil tomorrow.... shes going to also mix the seeds with pellets... to try to switch her over fully to pellets...
She ate some veggies already tonight.. so thats a great sign!
Poor thing i felt so bad for her... she just looked so sickly...
Anyways..shes all comfy now in her new cage and new toys.... (shes already playing with her toys..
smile.png
)
I guess shes an Orange-wing Amazon?... She'll be so pretty when her feathers get healthy again...
smile.png

She did bite my husband when he was there..he tried to feed her a peanut... she took the peanut from him and dropped it and promptly bit him..
lol.png

but shes been okay so far with my mother.... i think shes going to have some work to do with her though...

Last edited:
Quote:
Just have to say, I "inherited" an Green-cheeked Amazon. I wanted that bird badly. Unfortunately, the bird wanted nothing to do with me. My mom on the other hand, he fell in love with. She'd be able to pet him, cuddle with him. I walked within 5 feet of the cage and he'd screech at me like I was trying to murder him. When my mom passed, we all decided it was for the best to sell him. We wouldn't give him away because many people would simply take the bird, and sell him at the first opportunity, they may not even take care of him properly. A lady came by and the bird fell in love with her. It was like "insta-love". He walked right on her hand and they left together. It was sweet and sad at the same time.

I can't wait to see photos of your mom's new bird! I'm glad she took it out of that bad situation!

I know what you mean... I'm also glad that your moms bird found a good home...
smile.png

Its not that i cared about her selling her..its that she took her and didnt take CARE of her and then sold her..... know what i mean? The bird was in a tiny tiny rusty cage with no toys moldy food and feed dishes, no toys.....
just not good.... not right.
hmm.png

Yeah..its pretty cool when a parrot "finds" the right person...
smile.png

sadly..this one dosent like me too much (so far)..
tongue.gif
...i walked up to her cage and she screeched at me like i was gonna kill her..or she was gonna kill me!
th.gif

So i dont think we're going to be buddies...
lol.png

But i'll still go over my mothers house and spend time with her and try to get her used to me... because I'M the one who's going to be responsible for her birds in the long run...
My husbands much better with parrots than i am... and he claims that he dosent even like them.. (yeah right)
roll.png

I'm fine with them if they arent agressive with me.. but they HURT when they bite!
hide.gif

I can wrestle a pig with tusks (bratty Hammie) and a 160lb dog... but if a parrot tries to bite me...i become a sissy...
lol.png

Last edited:
redhen, it could be something you're wearing. Somtimes birds are afraid of glasses or baseball caps. Were you wearing either? Certain patterns on clothing can drive them crazy too. She might warm up to you over time.

That can be so true about what you're wearing. My Amazon HATES it when I wear long sleeved white shirts and I know I'll ge lunged at. My GW Macaw prefers new people who wear red, maybe because they look more like him. Maybe your bird will like you better if you try to dress to look like him. But then again, Amazons can be real drama divas, so it's hard to say. Good luck!

Quote:
Just have to say, I "inherited" a Green-cheeked Amazon. I wanted that bird badly. Unfortunately, the bird wanted nothing to do with me. My mom on the other hand, he fell in love with. She'd be able to pet him, cuddle with him. I walked within 5 feet of the cage and he'd screech at me like I was trying to murder him. When my mom passed, we all decided it was for the best to sell him. We wouldn't give him away because many people would simply take the bird, and sell him at the first opportunity, they may not even take care of him properly. A lady came by and the bird fell in love with her. It was like "insta-love". He walked right on her hand and they left together. It was sweet and sad at the same time.

This is how I got Maria, my yellow-nape. A friend (then a bachelor) had her for several years. Then he got married and every time his new wife walked into the room where Maria was kept, she'd go off like a fire alarm. What a screech she has! Anyhow after a couple of months of that, his wife put her foot down and he shipped Maria off to his sister. She had her for about 5 minutes before the bird bit her 9-yo son, and about 5 minutes after that, Maria and all her toys came to my house "temporarily" until he could make other arrangements. That was about 18 years ago!!!

She and I hit it off instantly. I am STILL the only person she will cuddle with. She sings when I sing and talks to me, answering me in Spanish when I ask her questions in English. She is a riot. However, anybody else who comes near her cage....well, she has this sweet and coy routine she uses to encourage people to offer her their hand. The instant they do, she grabs a finger and holds on for dear life while she bites the dickens out of them--repeatedly!! She is a pill.
lau.gif

Rusty

Quote:
Now just a darn minute. People? Did you say people? I would hardly call someone who would do this a People. I would call them lots of other things but not a "People".

Wishing your new friend all the best

Rancher

Amazons are notorious for being very firm about who they like and who they hate.
lol.png
Mine loves me and will let me do anything I want with him. He HATES my husband and would gladly take big raw chunks out of him if he ever got the opportunity! And for no apparent reason, because my husband is very good to him and really wants to be friends with him. Hubby has tried for 6 years now to make friends with Rusty and Rusty just won't have it. Rusty used to like my Mom until one day Mom had to rescue him from a piece of wood that split and clamped on one of his toes. She got the thing off of him before any damage was done to him, but in the process Rusty bit her about 6 times and really tore her hands up. After that he blamed her for the incident and wouldn't let her near him anymore. He's 23 and I worry what would happen to him if he outlives me because he really doesn't like other people.
I would hate to think he could end up like the one your mom adopted (before she got her).

Back
Top Bottom