Ayam Cemani bantam

CaveCreekCrazy

Hatching
Apr 19, 2016
Cave Creek, Arizona, US
I purchased a straight run of 4 Ayam Cemani chicks just under a month ago. Everything is looking great. Black everything...skin, combs, legs, toes, beaks, mouths, feathers. One for sure rooster starting to develop a nice tail with a good sheen. However, despite them all being hatched together and purchased by me at the same time, one of the four is significantly smaller than the other three. Probably a third the size. I purchased six bantams of various breeds at the exact same time and the one Ayam I'm concerned about is roughly the same size and progressing at roughly the same rate as the bantams. We had to move her (I assume but not 100% certain yet) in with the bantams because her three "friends" weren't letting her eat.

So here's the question and I'm hoping someone has the answer. Ayam Cemani bantam...is this even possible? I've searched and searched and searched and can't seem to find an answer anywhere. My understanding is that all four came from the same breeding pair. Is it possible that one is just a runt and is going to stay that way? I think the breeder grew tired of my incessant questions and stopped responding to my texts, which has me a little suspect but that's ok. She gave me enough documentation on the front end to give me confidence that they are the real deal.

I've been raising chickens for going on 4 years now but am new to owning the Ayam Cemani breed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I personally don't own ayam cemani, or if it is different with the different breeds, but I haven't heard of a runt in chickens. So could be she wasn't eating as much as the others

I have exactly the same problem ! I am afraid for her because i think there is a rooster (and I wanted to breed them), but she can't be this tiny and in with any rooster. I don't know what to do. She is adorable, she loves to nestle in my neck and sleep; she shgakes a lot so even though she has all her feathers and is 3 months old, maybe she needs more heat...but what do I do to keep her healthy and what flock could she possibly live with and be safe ?

I purchased a straight run of 4 Ayam Cemani chicks just under a month ago. Everything is looking great. Black everything...skin, combs, legs, toes, beaks, mouths, feathers. One for sure rooster starting to develop a nice tail with a good sheen. However, despite them all being hatched together and purchased by me at the same time, one of the four is significantly smaller than the other three. Probably a third the size. I purchased six bantams of various breeds at the exact same time and the one Ayam I'm concerned about is roughly the same size and progressing at roughly the same rate as the bantams. We had to move her (I assume but not 100% certain yet) in with the bantams because her three "friends" weren't letting her eat.

So here's the question and I'm hoping someone has the answer. Ayam Cemani bantam...is this even possible? I've searched and searched and searched and can't seem to find an answer anywhere. My understanding is that all four came from the same breeding pair. Is it possible that one is just a runt and is going to stay that way? I think the breeder grew tired of my incessant questions and stopped responding to my texts, which has me a little suspect but that's ok. She gave me enough documentation on the front end to give me confidence that they are the real deal.

I've been raising chickens for going on 4 years now but am new to owning the Ayam Cemani breed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I bought a whole bunch of different types of chicks from Tractor supply, mine is apparently a female but she is the same size as all the rest of the bantams. Did you ever figure out why? I'm kinda new to chicken farming.

I have 3 AC I hatched out. One is just smaller than the others. It is healthy, just smaller. I think your chick may just be smaller.

Back
Top Bottom