Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
There really is no standard yet for the American Cemoni. Even Cemoni farms has Regular quality and best quality he calls them. If you raise enough birds you get culls..In every single breed there is. It's up to us to try to breed them as dark as possible. I've had mine going on 7 years now. Mine were a land race breed and not breed by a breeder.. They can be now that people want them. If you get all perfect birds wow you have some birds.. Any however you look at it there will be 3 lines out there. There is work to be done with them still like any new breed to the states. Breed darkest ones together and start culling hard. But I guess if you have all perfect birds you dont have culls..Interesting..
hmm.png
I think mine are not bad for a land race fowl and not breed to a standard.. They are still like they were we got them..So they may not be perfect but there are no perfect birds that's what showing and breeding is all about. And NEVER bash someones birds. Like any new breed there is work to be done..

LOVELY birds! I think you very eloquently stated a great deal of common sense :)

Just put a deposit down on a pair of Ayam Cemani. So excited for spring!

I have a choice of regular Cemani, or a pair of Cemani that have a drop of Minorca in their ancestry, for the same price. The second ones lay white eggs, and more per year than the first, but they also have blue/white earlobes.

Any opinions on which I should get? I like the increased egg laying. Also, aside from producing more Cemani, I'm going to have the roo cover some of my project hens, and I'm trying to stay away from brown egg genes, so the white works better for that than the cream. BUT. Would the Minorca-ancestry pair not be considered Ayam Cemani, but a cross, even though they were bred back many times? They were bred back to Cemani many times after the original cross, so they are 99% Cemani, but I don't know how picky people are. I want to breed and sell Ayam Cemani, and I don't want people to say I'm misrepresenting my birds or that they 'aren't real Cemanis'.

There are no "true" Ayam Cemani in the US (that have ever been active in this forum or site)
Only American Ayam Kedu Cemani, so go with whichever you wish, the American standard prides itself on non black combs and other skin areas.
Most likely the second option of the pair would work better for your needs

There are no "true" Ayam Cemani in the US (that have ever been active in this forum or site)
Only American Ayam Kedu Cemani, so go with whichever you wish, the American standard prides itself on non black combs and other skin areas.
Most likely the second option of the pair would work better for your needs

What American Standard is that?

What American Standard is that?
Yes, I am wondering that too, as all the Cemani breeders I've talked to in the US strive for the blackest birds - for sure not red combs. (The cross I was speaking of with the white lobes looked to be a side project, and only offered because I asked directly about them, having seen a post they made mentioning that they had white-layers as well; they were up front that they were crosses, not pure Cemanis.) So I am not sure what Americans you were referring to as 'prides itself on non black combs and other skin areas'.

The ayam cemanis have no reddish or mulberry.
And what is the regular quality is have no black at the tongue and throat, not at the comb.
both ( regular and special ) is still have black combs.

Thank you and best regards,....

Just put a deposit down on a pair of Ayam Cemani. So excited for spring!

I have a choice of regular Cemani, or a pair of Cemani that have a drop of Minorca in their ancestry, for the same price. The second ones lay white eggs, and more per year than the first, but they also have blue/white earlobes.

Any opinions on which I should get? I like the increased egg laying. Also, aside from producing more Cemani, I'm going to have the roo cover some of my project hens, and I'm trying to stay away from brown egg genes, so the white works better for that than the cream. BUT. Would the Minorca-ancestry pair not be considered Ayam Cemani, but a cross, even though they were bred back many times? They were bred back to Cemani many times after the original cross, so they are 99% Cemani, but I don't know how picky people are. I want to breed and sell Ayam Cemani, and I don't want people to say I'm misrepresenting my birds or that they 'aren't real Cemanis'.
Very Exciting :)

I personally would go with the regular Cemani. Even though the others only have a drop of Minorca in their ancestry they have blue/white earlobes which are incorrect.
In my opinion the Minorca-Cemani's would be a mix/cross if they aren't displaying all of the proper features of an Ayam Cemani.

There are multiple capable breeders in the US currently working with true Ayam Cemani and related birds/breeds.
There are some on this site as well as non-members.

Hope this helps.
Good luck

Here is a new one for you. In Thailand in a small village there is a farmer who has a ton of these birds. What I was able to put together was that he's been breeding them for sometime and I could order anything under 1000 birds. Totally black, black bones, black meat. He's been selling them for the meat. At about $5 a bird.
All thoughts welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom