Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
"occasionally by accident produce a specimen worth keeping and breeding"
If that's what you want than go for it because that's the popular definition of the breed now.
It sounds like after years of culling that's all you get: occasional by accident black chickens.

If I'm wrong then so be it, but all my black birds had all black babies unless a non black chicken was mixed in.

Study some bean genetics about recessive and dominant genes. Then see the recessive strong color genes, those that are recessive but will overpower the other colors. These are the genes that allow such a variety in plumage, but such a difficulty in getting it right over the long haul. That's the draw to these birds. It took generations of people managing them to get it repeatable within the flock, not generations of birds. Heck anyone could cull, but few people can really figure out what's going on.
Yes its easier now, and you might be successful within your lifetime. By all means do it,
However its a real deal project, not an "occasionally by accident" production

Yes you have to remove the dead genetics from the line, but a Silkie can produce just as much accidental black in a mixed breed.
Why not play with them? Why not start there and learn more first?
Why kill the history of a respected international breed?

My point is why use this name when the birds don't fit it?
Good luck in producing an all black line, do it in the way you want and give it the new name it deserves.

Its quite clear that you have your own agendas and nothing will stop them. (not that I want to stop you from having fun and trying new things, as I said the name is my main problem)
Have fun discovering on your own what many people in Asia already know but you don't want to hear.
Good luck with your new breed whatever name you take for it.
Just please don't ship any of those birds back to Asia. Hopefully they will put some kind of ban up too.

One last comment,

For all your efforts I do hope you success, and believe that people can make a wonderful and unique breed.

However how would you feel if someone tried to sell you "Real American Cheese" that was made in China, colored blue and tasted like shrimp?
The real issue is the name attached to the product.

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it falleth like the due from heaven."

Im going to report them on RBA. The cemani is not my bird, but the photos are misleading as is the description. Thanks for the ebay link with correct coloring.
The chickens in the post with the real coloring are called "hybrids" he's not claiming they're "pure" who knows I they're the same birds as the previous ad or the ad on RBA

The chickens in the post with the real coloring are called "hybrids" he's not claiming they're "pure" who knows I they're the same birds as the previous ad or the ad on RBA
I give my Cemani hybrids and eggs away for free. So should this breeder. Maybe $1-$2 per egg is appropriate for a mix. I also would not use the word Cemani in any mixed breed. Below is an example of an accidental cross between a Cemani pullet and a Marans hen. I call it a CeMarans. But I would never charge money for it. Also note that I do not alter my photos. What you see is what you get.

Last edited:
I give my Cemani hybrids and eggs away for free. So should this breeder. Maybe $1-$2 per egg is appropriate for a mix. I also would not use the word Cemani in any mixed breed. Below is an example of an accidental cross between a Cemani pullet and a Marans hen. I call it a CeMarans. But I would never charge money for it. Also note that I do not alter my photos. What you see is what you get.

If I had chicks by a Cemani roo and a different breed of hen, I'd say 'parents are xyz and Cemani, this is NOT a Cemani'.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care if someone out there is willing to buy hybrids, what I take offense to is editing your photos so it appears you have something you don't and trying to get people to give you four thousand dollars for it. Just crazy. This is followed closely by stealing other peoples photos.

Thanks y'all, I'll get off your thread now. I just don't like scammers and thought I'd check it out.

This is why people need to do their homework and really pay attention to what they are buying and who they are buying from. Some are out to make a quick buck and don't care who they take advantage of. Ask tons of questions and ask for pictures is all I have to say. But believe me, word of mouth spreads fast and this breeder will not get far and will really ruin their reputation as a breeder.

I don't care if someone out there is willing to buy hybrids, what I take offense to is editing your photos so it appears you have something you don't and trying to get people to give you four thousand dollars for it. Just crazy. This is followed closely by stealing other peoples photos.

Thanks y'all, I'll get off your thread now. I just don't like scammers and thought I'd check it out.
You are right. I don't really care if someone charges for hybrids either. I personally just don't sell them because I only sell pure, rare breeds. Any accidents are given away to good homes. There are nothing wrong with mixed breeds. Some of them might even be healthier and bette producers than the pure breeds. But I never want someone to be confused. So I will give them away rather than sell them. And I will never call them by their pure breed names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom