Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If that's the case, then why haven't you given it a try?
wink.png

I think I might. Talk to me in december

As for smuggling, I know a family in St. David that brought some hatching eggs from Spain. They put them in baggies like they were boiled eggs in a lunch bag when they went through customs.

It worked.

Quote:
If that's the case, then why haven't you given it a try?
wink.png

I think I might. Talk to me in december

So you did it?

Just so you know, the USDA regularly monitors forums like this, and the fine and penalty for smuggling hatching eggs is up to $250,000 and 5 years in prison for any individual.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Quote:
Punishable by years in prison or fines if caught, yes?

Because of diseases they recently upped the fine and are no longer providing any leniency. They also monitor online for people claiming they have imported birds/lines, and they will see if you have paperwork on file. If you doubt this, talk to KorfusKluckers... her friend almost landed in very hot water a few years ago BEFORE they upped enforcement and upped fines...

she didn't get caught at the time the eggs were snuck in.. she got nailed later.

I am looking for some of them Ayam Cemani chickens but don't want any smuggled eggs or birds. Some folks have them leagaly, I'm sure. Cornishman.

Quote:
This would have been before the outbreak of bird flu?

For the time being Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Vietnam and neighboring countries are all off limits: read the details here. It does say "temporary ban", though, so hopefully the ban will lift at some point.

There's no ban on importation from Europe, and actually it might be relatively easy and cheap to legally import eggs from Europe: more info from the USDA

For goodness sake people! The regulations do exist to protect the health of all poultry in the U.S... read the instructions, it really isn't as complicated as you might think to do everything legally.

On a happier note, you can get some interesting pictures of Ayam Cemani by Google Image searching on the text "ayam cemani site:.id" to get only the Indonesian pictures:
images
300614_imga0951.jpg
1275938628_98695532_1-Gambar--Ayam-Cemani-1275938628.jpg

1275938628_98695532_2-Ayam-Cemani-Malang-1275938628.jpg

There are also all-black standard fowl in China:

I think these are neat. They look like a heavier breed than the Cemani.

2008126225787029.JPG
01300000201162121623398437307_s.jpg

(From an image search on 乌骨鸡)
These pictures show a Sichuan breed called Mountain Black Bone Chicken (Shāndì wū gǔ jī, 山地乌骨鸡, or Sìchuān shāndì wū gǔ jī) which has a history in Sichuan going back 300 years. Like the Cemani and the Silkie (regular, non-mountain Wū gǔ jī), they have black skin and flesh (or at least, connective tissue).

Best - exop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom