Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of breeds already legally in Canada and the USA that could be combined to make a Cemani look alike with some of the alleles found in Oceanic class stocks. One could take a serama hen and mate her to the smallest dark skinned South American type fowl you can get, and recover larger single combed individuals in both sexes with black skin in the F2. One of these could be mated to a black sumatra, and the F2 would again yield single combed individuals with very dark skin. Lavender modern games, especially the dark skinned ones, would work too, if one wanted the slightly gamey look of the Indonesian stocks. Lavender Moderns, in Canada, have some rapa nuis in them....used to get the dark skin that the European stock of Moderns already has. It only takes a few generations to breed up size from seramas, when crossed anything else.

Jocelyn

Quote:
Isn't it. It looks almost like a fin. The hen above that photo is from the same website - looks like she is from the same strain of Cemani. It looks like some sort of pea comb (there are the three lengthwise ridges).

Quote:
The Swedish Black Hen (Svarthöna) is another all black, black combed, black feathered breed:

svart.jpg

gallery_12674_1550_120756.jpg

And here's another black fleshed Chinese breed, this one with pretty golden hackles: the Dongxiang (东乡黑鸡, Dōngxiāng hēi jī)
DongxiangBlue-shelledLayers.jpg

Why go to the trouble of trying to breed a simulated Cemani? There are quite a few all black breeds out there. If you want to "create", why not try to create a new, unique looking one of your own? An all black bird of any shape and size is a pretty compelling looking creature.

The true Cemani is notable for the extreme darkness of its interior black pigmentation. It would be sad if a well meaning person "made" a Cemani-looking pet chicken which later was crossed back into a strain of pure Cemani and messed up the bloodline.

edited 12/21/10 to add Chinese term for Dongxiang fowl

Last edited:
Quote:
This would have been before the outbreak of bird flu?

Don't know honestly, never asked never was told. Just know they had them.. Europe is a place you could get the birds from for a price too, I know they have them there... Pure birds too, not a look alike someone created, which in my opinion would be just that "A look alike."And could never be called a Ayam Cemani.

Some of the south american stocks are very dark meat, very black. They are every bit as black as the swarthons, Swedish black hens. If one wishes to explore the possibilities of a mirror phenotype, they could form the base. One will have difficulties with imports for the next while, due to bird flu in Indonesia...so it depends on what you want, which way you go with it.
blackbeardedsinglecombedmale.jpg
Betty.jpg

Hello, jocelynpei,

Are you the same person whose album picture of the Dongxiang I linked above? If so, thanks. I found that photo on The Coop, and have been fascinated by it ever since. When searching the web for more information about the breed, I've found several scholarly articles about egg pigmentation but no other photos until just now, when I finally stumbled on the correct search term in Chinese. May I ask, where did you find the picture originally? It looks like an extract from a book or magazine.

Are you located in South America?

Best regards, exop

Last edited:
Yes, I am the person who originally posted the Dong Xiang picture. It comes from a paper in the the Blue Egg Clucker, a newsletter from the Araucana Club of America. There is a Chinese researcher studying the blue egg gene, and he has asked for blood samples from folks with araucanas, quetros, quechuas, mixed race South American stocks, so we all sent them. He has not published or gone to peer review, so I can't say more yet.
I am in Canada.
smile.png

And FYI they lay white eggs.
The Cemani dont lay white eggs they are tinted ,And the combs on a Cemani arent pea they should have 7 serations

European hobbyists have established their own standard for the Cemani, based on a very small number of Cemani that were imported and bred for uniformity; but in Indonesia they aren't standardised.
Quote:
You were quoting and rebutting JaydeesLaydee?

Just to clarify for anyone confused about which eggs tingle meant, the Dongxiang are known for their blue eggs:

(Click on either picture for a close-up)

Last edited:
hi, ayam cemani (black chicken) are rare kind of native chickens originated in Indonesia, but neighboring countries also have this one, but its hard to find a 100% pure breed of this black chicken... and nowadays, this chicken is more and more sought after and it takes a lot of people as a condition / requirement for purposes of intent / special interests, then the Chicken Cemani have exorbitant price, really fantastic, and can cost big amount of money... we have some of these here in the Philippines, and were looking for a good buyer in good purpose...
big_smile.png
have a great day ahead everyone
big_smile.png

here's something i want to share with you guys
big_smile.png

http://buzz4.blogspot.com/2011/03/information-history-and-efficacy-of.html

I have just picked up a Ayam Cemani hen. Beautiful bird. Here are the pictures.

112042_2012-01_various_2012-01-02_230.jpg

112042_2012-01_various_2012-01-02_232.jpg

She doesn't like to go in the coop with the other birds but prefers to roost alone higher up on a bar in the run. Has anyone else found this?
112042_2012-01_chickens_january_004.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom