Aylesbury duck has a twisted back...

I'm wondering if it's like scoliosis :confused:

It's probably scoliosis.
Click here to see source
Abstract

Summary
Scoliosis is a genetic defect occurring in the white Pekin duck. It results from an abnormal growth of individual vertebrae. Curvature of the spine is not obvious at the time of hatching, but histological evidence of portions of the notochord is present and this is associated with an abnormal growth of the vertebrae. Scoliosis may be grossly obvious in ducks 40 days old. Of 282 white Pekins, 28.4% had scoliosis but only a few had a vertebral abnormality that was evident in the living bird. Scoliosis was not observed in the Mallard or the Muscovy, but occurred in 22.2% of 27 hybrids resulting from the mating of the Muscovy male with the white Pekin female.

Last edited:
that is very interesting info indeed! though i still cant find much/anything on how to treat it in animals... most sources ive found just say dont worry, it shouldnt cause any pain.... i suppose i could try to make a brace for her to wear for the last part of her growing?

that is very interesting info indeed! though i still cant find much/anything on how to treat it in animals... most sources ive found just say dont worry, it shouldnt cause any pain.... i suppose i could try to make a brace for her to wear for the last part of her growing?
My drake got along fine without any intervention. :D

Back
Top Bottom