<b>Black spots on Waddles and Combs HELP!!!! (Photos Added Now)</b>

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mstrrlm, Nov 27, 2011.

1. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    I first noticed 2 weeks ago a BR Rooster with these black spots on comb, was out of town for a week and today noticed all 5 of my BR roosters have splotches and spots of deep black on there combs and waddles and on some it is worse then others. Now my RIR and LH Roosters that live with them don't seem to have any of this on them. The BR's were born end of May this year and the LH and RIR were born month later. Can anyone help with this issue please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Can you post pictures? Perhaps it is only scabs from being pecked.

If you are unable to post pics, you may be able to find some pictures on here that show the difference between what scabbing looks like compared to, say, fowl pox.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Perhaps do a search on 'fowl pox' - and perhaps a bing or google search in the images sections of those search engnines if no pictures come up here in the forum.
    Perhaps too, you could post a photo of the black spots, and help BYC experts with a diagnosis.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:x2

5. mstrrlm

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    OK I will get pics sometime tomorrow morning and post them just thought I would throw out as something simple but will get pics for confirmation. And just for ref I looked at images of Foul Pox and doesn't look like that, and live in the mountains of Colorado so not many mosquitoes here, and I have never seen any since we moved to this house in May. But I will post pics and thanks to you guys that responded quickly

6. mstrrlm

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Anyone got an answer now I added the pics

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Could be scabs from getting pecked at and picked on or could be "fowl pox". Type it into the search bar up top and read all about it.

8. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    I am going to guess either frostbite, or pecking. [​IMG]

9. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    What about mites?!? Just a wild guess but i throw it out there as mites are a pretty serious thing...
    And that might also explain some pecking...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  10. mstrrlm

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Well the foul pox pics I saw didn't look like what my birds have can anyone else offer there knowledge? I appreciate all suggestions comments and help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by