B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Yep. Our whole family take them out to guard them fir a while and let them get used to the great out doors. They always protest getting caught but once they are outr they have a ball.

That's why this year I decided to put the brooders in the greenhouse. Since I will be in the greenhouse a lot this spring summer and fall I figured while they are still too little to be outside with the big chickens they can practice their skills inside the greenhouse without getting hurt. I will just sit down and open the brooder door and they all run around and check things out. It's funny but it's almost like they view me as mom because they will run away and play with different things but when they get unsure they run right back to me hehe. I love it.

That's why this year I decided to put the brooders in the greenhouse. Since I will be in the greenhouse a lot this spring summer and fall I figured while they are still too little to be outside with the big chickens they can practice their skills inside the greenhouse without getting hurt. I will just sit down and open the brooder door and they all run around and check things out. It's funny but it's almost like they view me as mom because they will run away and play with different things but when they get unsure they run right back to me hehe. I love it.
Yep, ours do the same. They explore then run back to our legs. However when we try to pick them up from the brooder they act like we are trying to eat them and run crazy. I know it is just instinct as we are "swooping down" from above to pick them up but considering our brooder is a giant cardboard box with the top open, that is the only access.
idunno.gif
They get used to it.

Quote:
here's a mockup of my actual brooders. no good photos. LOL

the door can come off and I set it on top, chicks all hop up and line the edge waiting for attention... I've got 3 of these stacked, but when I get the back room cleared out and set up right, I'm planning to have about 4-6 of these, no more than 2 high. I have a shelf system I make that will allow for the lights to be installed above, and heat is a clamp lamp simply hanging from the wire on top, using 60 watt heat emitters, so they're not too warm.

I make and sell these regularly, so the design has been perfected to my desires over the last 2 years. LOL

once I get the back room finished, then i'll sell my older style ones that I'm currently using.

actually I did find a pic of some sfh lining the edge LOL

here's a mockup of my actual brooders. no good photos. LOL

the door can come off and I set it on top, chicks all hop up and line the edge waiting for attention... I've got 3 of these stacked, but when I get the back room cleared out and set up right, I'm planning to have about 4-6 of these, no more than 2 high. I have a shelf system I make that will allow for the lights to be installed above, and heat is a clamp lamp simply hanging from the wire on top, using 60 watt heat emitters, so they're not too warm.

I make and sell these regularly, so the design has been perfected to my desires over the last 2 years. LOL

once I get the back room finished, then i'll sell my older style ones that I'm currently using.

actually I did find a pic of some sfh lining the edge LOL
Very nice. We just do this occasionally so that using a cardboard box is easy. No storage required and recycling is easy after we are done with it.

Quote:
LOL as opposed to my weekly hatches, I'm sure. I tend to group 2-3 weeks of chicks in one brooder, unless I do like I am right now, and hatching EVERYTHING. then hatches of 20+ chicks isn't unusual.

on a related note, (and to bring it back to Dorkings) I will start collecting to incubate from the silver grey pen tomorrow! first set will go in on Wednesday. I want to keep them separated by hatch dates from my sfh, since I'm still not positive they're pure yet, and some of the chicks may be half sfh or blrw or ee... tho most likely they'll be pure, I don't want to mix up chicks.

once they're verified fertile and pure i'll be filling orders from last fall when they quit laying, then hatching EVERYTHING I can for a while... need to fill the freezer this fall, after all. LOL

Some of you know Craig Russell. He is into Dorkings and is the president of the SPPA ( Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiques?)
He also does Wild foods seminars and will be doing one this weekend down in Wytheville that I’m seriously considering going to (but have to work out the logistics…it’s a 3+ hour drive if the traffic light gods are kind.)
I know a lot of chicken folks are down in that area and the seminar is only $25 (to learn how to find food in the wild and how to cook it!!!) pm me for contact info if you are interested!

@pysankigirl
How was the seminar? I almost drove up there (6 hours one way--ugh) for a trio of Narragansetts and attend the seminar but thank goodness came to my senses and found some eggs locally. I do love road trips though. But right now the nursery room is at full capacity so trips are kinda tough!

@pysankigirl How was the seminar? I almost drove up there (6 hours one way--ugh) for a trio of Narragansetts and attend the seminar but thank goodness came to my senses and found some eggs locally. I do love road trips though. But right now the nursery room is at full capacity so trips are kinda tough!
such a precious picture! What breed is that?

I love the dog and the geese!! Although I guess I should've been more specific! We have never had a dog that was that calm around the birds. It is amazing that you were able to get that shot! The geese are adorable. I want one! Or 50!

Back
Top Bottom