B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Thanks - I am also already trying that. In the meantime I got some response: According to the PoultryClubSA there are no Dorking breeders left in South Africa :(
Someone else told me, that there are only few project/starter birds in not very good quality from UK or Holland. They asked me to bring them eggs.

from Germany, you may be able to get eggs/chicks out of the uk much easier... I know there are some good breeders there. might be worth looking into. a few of them are on the FB page - Dorking Club USA

Two years ago I tried breeding my first flock of SG Dorkings (from MMcM) and it was a disaster. Out of the 3 dozen eggs I set, only 2 hatched. No, not two dozen. TWO. those two birds were not breedable. They were scrawny and nowhere near the standard. So last year I made it my mission to obtain better stock, which I did. This year I have set 24 eggs, of which 16 hatched. I culled one because she was failing to thrive after 5 days. I've got 22 more in the incubator and all are growing well and are super-active! Yay! The chicks in the brooder now are already showing great promise. A few of them are huge, toes are perfect, great dispositions already. I'm hoping for good earlobes, though, as that's a bit of a problem with the hens I have. My cocks have better lobes. I'm so excited to have had such great luck this year!

Last edited:
Two years ago I tried breeding my first flock of SG Dorkings (from MMcM) and it was a disaster. Out of the 3 dozen eggs I set, only 2 hatched. No, not two dozen. TWO. those two birds were not breedable. They were scrawny and nowhere near the standard. So last year I made it my mission to obtain better stock, which I did. This year I have set 24 eggs, of which 16 hatched. I culled one because she was failing to thrive after 5 days. I've got 22 more in the incubator and all are growing well and are super-active! Yay! The chicks in the brooder now are already showing great promise. A few of them are huge, toes are perfect, great dispositions already. I'm hoping for good earlobes, though, as that's a bit of a problem with the hens I have. My cocks have better lobes. I'm so excited to have had such great luck this year!

I understand the challenges with this breed. Good for you, for not giving up. Best wishes for this year!

Thanks - I am also already trying that. In the meantime I got some response: According to the PoultryClubSA there are no Dorking breeders left in South Africa :(
Someone else told me, that there are only few project/starter birds in not very good quality from UK or Holland. They asked me to bring them eggs.

There is a Dorking International group on Facebook that is quite active. You might try there.

wee.gif
Beautiful!!!

I'm considering setting my focus on dorkings. Right now, I just have a variety of chickens, and some chickens with variety. I'd like to contribute to and learn a specific breed well, so I'm at this point mainly considering Dorking or Black Australorps. Can anyone with experience with both breeds give me any comparisons between the two? I have a few australorps, but haven't owned dorkings. I think they're beautiful and have great dispositions, and appreciate the variety of color. I love australorps, but not so much a variety here.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm considering setting my focus on dorkings. Right now, I just have a variety of chickens, and some chickens with variety. I'd like to contribute to and learn a specific breed well, so I'm at this point mainly considering Dorking or Black Australorps. Can anyone with experience with both breeds give me any comparisons between the two? I have a few australorps, but haven't owned dorkings. I think they're beautiful and have great dispositions, and appreciate the variety of color. I love australorps, but not so much a variety here.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

welcome to 'Dorkingdom!' I haven't had australorps so can't offer any comparisons. I DO have a variety of breeds tho, but my main focus is silver grey Dorkings. I have a small group of reds and coloreds, blue laced red Wyandottes and Swedish flower hens, plus some bantam cochins who are aggravating me - lazy rooster syndrome, no fertile eggs yet.

the Dorkings ARE all that I wanted in a breed. they're calm and friendly when free ranging, good broodies for the most part (one red girl went 'wild broody' and disappeared for a month, showed up with one chick and is a fierce and protective mother, 3 others are setting right now. the roosters, like the hens can be fierce protectors of their flock. I've lost several roosters while free ranging because they sacrificed themselves so the girls would be safe. a few times they've taken out the predator and lived to crow about it.

hope this helps.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
I've not kept any Australorps but in general find a patterned bird more interesting than a solid bird. I like to be able to tell my birds apart. The Dorking will present more challenges in terms of obtaining and breeding stock that are close to the APA standard. Australorps are more commonly bred and shown, and as a whole are in a more developed state. Given the current state of both breeds the Australorp is probably a more "practical" bird, if meat and eggs are a priority. You can get enjoyment from any breed that is well done. But this is a Dorking thread, I vote for the Dorking.

Back
Top Bottom