B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Quote:
Which ones?! The Reds hatched!
big_smile.png
The SGs are doing great! They have a week to go. I won't candle the White & Colored eggs till at least Sunday. I set them last Friday.

How are yours doing?

Mine are doing good.. would have been doing better if I wasn't an idiot! I just got a sportsman and I am not used to setting so many...and I was candling. I think I pulled out some that were ok. By the time I did the eggtopsies they weren't alive....but darned if they didn't look about the right age!
he.gif
. So I have decided if it doesn't stink...it stays. At least until day 18 when I candle. I am so sick over it.

Bummer!! Keep a pencil or marker handy while you candle & mark the questionable ones instead of tossing them. That's why I wait till day 9 or 10 to candle the first time. I know I threw out some viable eggs too early before. Sometimes it's hard to tell toward the very end too, so if I have any doubt I keep them till the end. I actually keep them in till day 23. I had a surprise last hatch. Four chicks hatched on day 23!

Quote:
Hi Dave! Maybe it was exhaustion. It seems that sweetening the water might do the trick. Make sure, too, that there's plenty of feeders space to encourage them to eat their fill.

The medicated feed is a coccidiostat, which specifically fights coccidiosis. Chances are, that isn't what's going on with your birds so quickly and so young unless there's a high level in your environment any it's particularly cool and damp.

Crossing fingers!

Joseph

Quote:
My seven month old Dorkings are from Sandhill. I started with 23 Dorkings and 4 orpingtons. I still have all the Dorkings (except the roosters I had processed!) I lost one orp at 3 days and one orp hen was found dead in the coop a few weeks ago. But all the Dorkings are fine.

By the way, I do not use medicated feed.

Last edited:
As of right now, no more dead chicks. I used the medicated feed yesterday as I was afraid it might be cocci. It is really wet here right now but they are in their own little dog pen that I've converted to a chick pen.

I think stress is the likely culprit hopefully this will decrease now that they are with a bunch of moms and have plenty feed and water.

I have Dorking eggs pipping now!
big_smile.png

Hoping I get some pure chicks this time but these were set a week after the others so I guess I might get some more Wellie crosses too.

Good to hear you've had no more deaths Urbanfarmerkc, always sad to lose chicks. Hope all those left are strong and healthy and grow well for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom