BA? Ideal says sex link....I think NOT! Update & better pics Post #29

Quote:
I think you just became my BFF
hugs.gif
It's been driving me crazy and I'm afraid the poor bird thinks I'm stalking her.
lol.png

With those new pics, I'm 99.99% sure she's a Black Minorca (vs. Black Andalusion or WFBS).
wink.png

My neighbor ordered a couple of those this year from McMurray and they look just like yours. My neighbor was very happy with her Buff Minorcas, but needed some new pullets to restock the flock after the dog massacre last fall. She likes her Minorcas because they are awesome summer layers, pumping out 5-7 big white eggs a week per hen. They slow down in the winter to 3-4 eggs/week/hen, which is still very reasonable.

Thanks Kentucky and Cowgirl. I would never have thought to order a minorca, but I'm glad that's what she is. Her and I are working on building a friendship.
smile.png

Could it be a Black Leghorn? I know their combs supposed to be larger than that but not all hatchery Leghorns created equally!

Looks like a Minorca too!

One thing I am certain of, she will lay white eggs LOL!

Not a sex linked pullet, no brown on her. I know some black sex linked pullets sometimes have alot of black with very little red neck feathers but obviously she does not have any, nor BSL have green sheen on them.

She is without a doubt a Black Minorca. I have one just like her that I got from Atwoods this spring out of the pullet bin. My girl had me stumped for the longest time and then she got these HUGE white earlobes, a big comb and massive wattles. She started laying shortly after that. Mine is a great layer of white eggs.

Quote:
Now it's making more sense to me. When I grabbed chicks out of the bin, I had a broody in desperate need of chicks, I thought they were all the same. Shows you what I get for thinking.
tongue.png

My neighbor (the one who got the Black Minorcas) asked me to raise her chicks for her this spring until they were old enough to go outside (she also got EEs, SBs, Anconas, and a WCBP) . In the same batch I also had some Black Sexlink chicks. The females BSLs and the BMs looked practically identical! I was finally able to tell them apart after they feathered in, when the BSLs had some orange coming in and the BMs also had larger peachy colored combs. So it doesn't surprise me that you accidentally grabbed a BM chick.
wink.png

Ideal doesn't sell Black Leghorns, BTW. With that tail, I'm still thinking Black Minorca.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom