Babies hatched now what?

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
My Anacona duck became a first time mama today! She hatched out 3 adorable little babies.
I’ve got her locked in the coop by herself while the rest of the flock are locked in the run for the babies protection. She’s set up with feed and water.

When she will be ready to take her babies to free range? When should I let her out to free range? I’m not letting the rest of the flock free range for now.

I’m worried if I let her free range she will take the babies to a creek that’s near by and they might float away. Should I just put a pool in the coop them for now?

Wish I could help more, but I have no idea.

Hopefully some duck people can help you
soon, I would tag them but I have no idea who they are.

My Anacona duck became a first time mama today! She hatched out 3 adorable little babies.
I’ve got her locked in the coop by herself while the rest of the flock are locked in the run for the babies protection. She’s set up with feed and water.

When she will be ready to take her babies to free range? When should I let her out to free range? I’m not letting the rest of the flock free range for now.

I’m worried if I let her free range she will take the babies to a creek that’s near by and they might float away. Should I just put a pool in the coop them for now?
Congratulations!

What kind of predators do you have where you live? Free ranging will expose both your adult ducks and ducklings to risk of predation, and the ducklings will be easy prey for animals like foxes, hawks, and even domestic cats and dogs. Even snapping turtles can pose a risk to ducklings. I've had foxes and a hawk kill adult Muscovy ducks, which are larger than Anconas and could fly well.

A secure enclosure where the broody can raise her ducklings without having to worry about predators would be your best bet. Ducklings aren't waterproof - they will become waterlogged, tire, and drown if left in water they can't easily get out of, so they should not have unsupervised access to a pool. A shallow dish with some water in it (a couple of inches at most) should be fine for them to play in, unless you can be there to supervise them while they swim.

We have hawks, raccoons, and cayotes. If I let them free range I would be supervising it.
However I think I’m going to keep her locked up for the time being but now my question is, is normal for her to be this stressed?!
Everything I seen was separate her and the babies from the rest of the flock for the time being but she is going insane! She’s ready to take the babies out into the world, and they’re barley 24 hours old. I feel so bad for her because she is so stressed without her flock. She’s yelling constantly!
I assumed she would enjoy the peace and quiet especially away from the drakes and she’s very protective of her babies so it surprises me she wants to let them around all the others.

Back
Top Bottom