Baby chicks hatched- but coop isn’t really safe.

Melgug

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
Hi all! Mama hen hatched some eggs. They are all in a large dog crate with food and water inside the coop. Our coop is at least 4ft off the ground, so not safe to let the babies walk around the coop and no safe way to get outside (ramp is super long).

Mama hen wants her chicks to follow her outside. I opened the dog cage door for her today to let her stretch her legs and she went out and was calling to her babies and kept coming back trying to get them to follow her.

What is the best thing I can do here? Do I move the dog cage to ground level and just cover it with a tarp or something to protect from elements? That way they can free range? Or do I just keep them contained in the dog cage, and if so, for how long? Thanks so much any and all advice is appreciated!!!

If you do place it on ground level maybe consider zip tying hard ware cloth to the sides of the dog crate as well. I'm relatively novice but trying to learn quickly!

Hi all! Mama hen hatched some eggs. They are all in a large dog crate with food and water inside the coop. Our coop is at least 4ft off the ground, so not safe to let the babies walk around the coop and no safe way to get outside (ramp is super long).

Mama hen wants her chicks to follow her outside. I opened the dog cage door for her today to let her stretch her legs and she went out and was calling to her babies and kept coming back trying to get them to follow her.

What is the best thing I can do here? Do I move the dog cage to ground level and just cover it with a tarp or something to protect from elements? That way they can free range? Or do I just keep them contained in the dog cage, and if so, for how long? Thanks so much any and all advice is appreciated!!!
My chicks are in the brooder box inside the house spoiled polishes!

Back
Top Bottom