Babies???

frasereve

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
Hey everyone!! I had a question about genes 🧬

PICTURES OF ALL ARE BELOW AND ILL COMMENT WHO IS WHO AND WHAT THEY LAY

I just got a Easter Egger rooster! He’s supposed to be a blue egg gene mixed roo.
I have quite a few different breeds as well and I was wondering if anyone could help me determine what his babies would look like and what color they would lay for each “MOM” hen we have!
3CB8EEA9-593F-49D2-B7F4-5D704F8971BB.jpeg
85166233-0DBE-4508-A892-85736500A09E.jpeg
E96EF523-3705-4251-9FE6-27D198FCDEDC.jpeg
06F5FD0E-A028-45CD-992E-73CC1D934C4B.jpeg
4DE12CDF-C538-405C-94AD-251CEE10D875.jpeg
69D4BA16-A3DF-4359-B295-F619D2ED7F25.jpeg
F52D8785-1325-465C-925B-0FCB13D6D878.jpeg
AEA8C734-8C32-443A-A640-66CF24C6A9F2.jpeg
B6C6BADD-4ED5-416C-9146-98898FF28BE9.jpeg
01786CAA-6045-4346-BC15-30B5E9A3A4AA.jpeg
A51A5E20-CB6F-4239-A931-A8B585B4D5AC.jpeg
7F588C0E-5305-4213-AD92-2DE7F9A00A3C.jpeg
DC8DB797-0487-4306-A824-FB5950DCDE63.jpeg
B816D61E-CF52-4D81-9BFE-0AFC1C94768D.jpeg
60A436E9-7BC3-40A0-8216-8EE4AF5B8E69.jpeg
CD97E405-19EF-40F0-B931-96C184D41B2F.jpeg

King Henry the rooster appears to be blue (one copy of the blue gene, on a black base color), and you say he's got double blue egg genes. I do not think he has white barring, but sometimes it's hard to tell on blues. (If he does have white barring, it could show up on any of his chicks, male or female, with any base color.)

Has he got muffs on his face? If yes, then any of his chicks could have them too. If no, then you will only get chicks with muffs from hens that have muffs.

Crossing him to your hens, I expect:
Ren, Welsummer mix that lays light beige, should produce black chicks and blue chicks, and the daughters should lay green eggs.

Itachi, Sapphire Gem who lays light brown eggs, should produce chicks that are black, blue, and splash. Daughters should lay green eggs.

Olive Egger, looks black and presumably lays dark green eggs, should produce chicks that are black or blue. Daughters should lay green eggs, likely darker than what the daughters of the other hens lay.

McNuggets, Buff Brahma who lays pale creamy beige eggs, should produce black chicks and blue chicks, with feathered feet. Daughters are likely to lay green eggs, possibly lighter green than daughters of some of the other hens.

Stimpy, Easter Egger who hasn't laid yet, is likely to produce black and blue chicks. Daughters are likely to lay green eggs, with a chance of blue or of dark green (olive) depending on what genes she's got for the amount of brown on the egg.

Lil Peep, Cream Legbar hen who lays blue eggs, should produce sexlinked chicks. Daughters will be black or blue. Sons will have white barring on a background of black or blue. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs. (If some chicks have a background color other than black or blue, sons will still show white barring while daughters will not.) Her chicks will probably have small crests.

For each hen so far, there's a chance of offspring that have some amount of gold or silver in addition to black or blue, depending on what other genes the rooster may be carrying without showing them.

Winnifred, Barred Rock who lays light brown eggs, should produce sexlinked chicks. Daughters will be black or blue. Sons should have white barring, on a background of black or blue. Daughters should lay green eggs.

Storm, blue Ameraucana who lays blue eggs, should produce chicks that are black, blue, and splash. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Peaches and Cream, both splash Ameraucanas who lays blue eggs, should produce chicks that are blue and splash. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Gia, white Easter Egger that lays blue/teal/green eggs, is harder to predict. If she has Dominant White, she will produce white chicks, or half of chicks white and the other half black or blue. If she has recessive white, she will most likely produce black or blue chicks. Her daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Wednesday, Olive Egger that lays grey/green eggs, is mentioned on a photo that lists three birds but only shows two, so I'm not sure who she is. Maybe the "Olive Egger" I found in a different photo? If she lays gray/green eggs, her daughters are likely to lay green or maybe gray eggs as well.

Foghorn, white Leghorn that lays white eggs, should produce white chicks. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Silkies would produce chicks with normal feathers, but chicks will probably show many of the other Silkie breed traits: crest, feathered feet, 5th toe, and maybe even black skin. Chicks are likely to be black, blue, or splash in color, and daughters will probably lay green eggs but possibly blue ones. There's a chance of chicks that show gold or silver in addition to black or blue, depending on what genes the rooster carries.

For egg color, I am predicting "blue or green" from each hen that lays blue or white, because I don't know if the rooster has the genes that turn blue eggs into green ones (brown coating), or not.

King Henry the rooster appears to be blue (one copy of the blue gene, on a black base color), and you say he's got double blue egg genes. I do not think he has white barring, but sometimes it's hard to tell on blues. (If he does have white barring, it could show up on any of his chicks, male or female, with any base color.)

Has he got muffs on his face? If yes, then any of his chicks could have them too. If no, then you will only get chicks with muffs from hens that have muffs.

Crossing him to your hens, I expect:
Ren, Welsummer mix that lays light beige, should produce black chicks and blue chicks, and the daughters should lay green eggs.

Itachi, Sapphire Gem who lays light brown eggs, should produce chicks that are black, blue, and splash. Daughters should lay green eggs.

Olive Egger, looks black and presumably lays dark green eggs, should produce chicks that are black or blue. Daughters should lay green eggs, likely darker than what the daughters of the other hens lay.

McNuggets, Buff Brahma who lays pale creamy beige eggs, should produce black chicks and blue chicks, with feathered feet. Daughters are likely to lay green eggs, possibly lighter green than daughters of some of the other hens.

Stimpy, Easter Egger who hasn't laid yet, is likely to produce black and blue chicks. Daughters are likely to lay green eggs, with a chance of blue or of dark green (olive) depending on what genes she's got for the amount of brown on the egg.

Lil Peep, Cream Legbar hen who lays blue eggs, should produce sexlinked chicks. Daughters will be black or blue. Sons will have white barring on a background of black or blue. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs. (If some chicks have a background color other than black or blue, sons will still show white barring while daughters will not.) Her chicks will probably have small crests.

For each hen so far, there's a chance of offspring that have some amount of gold or silver in addition to black or blue, depending on what other genes the rooster may be carrying without showing them.

Winnifred, Barred Rock who lays light brown eggs, should produce sexlinked chicks. Daughters will be black or blue. Sons should have white barring, on a background of black or blue. Daughters should lay green eggs.

Storm, blue Ameraucana who lays blue eggs, should produce chicks that are black, blue, and splash. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Peaches and Cream, both splash Ameraucanas who lays blue eggs, should produce chicks that are blue and splash. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Gia, white Easter Egger that lays blue/teal/green eggs, is harder to predict. If she has Dominant White, she will produce white chicks, or half of chicks white and the other half black or blue. If she has recessive white, she will most likely produce black or blue chicks. Her daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Wednesday, Olive Egger that lays grey/green eggs, is mentioned on a photo that lists three birds but only shows two, so I'm not sure who she is. Maybe the "Olive Egger" I found in a different photo? If she lays gray/green eggs, her daughters are likely to lay green or maybe gray eggs as well.

Foghorn, white Leghorn that lays white eggs, should produce white chicks. Daughters should lay blue or green eggs.

Silkies would produce chicks with normal feathers, but chicks will probably show many of the other Silkie breed traits: crest, feathered feet, 5th toe, and maybe even black skin. Chicks are likely to be black, blue, or splash in color, and daughters will probably lay green eggs but possibly blue ones. There's a chance of chicks that show gold or silver in addition to black or blue, depending on what genes the rooster carries.

For egg color, I am predicting "blue or green" from each hen that lays blue or white, because I don't know if the rooster has the genes that turn blue eggs into green ones (brown coating), or not.
This is so helpful!!!!!!!!!! I have found out he is a Blue Easter egger from Mypetchiken.com!!! So I’m not sure what that mean about his genes but that’s his breed! And this is very helpful!!!! He is 11 weeks old today! When should I expect him to start trying to mount the girls and crow and how long will it take to get fertile eggs from them? Any guess would be highly appreciated

This is so helpful!!!!!!!!!! I have found out he is a Blue Easter egger from Mypetchiken.com!!! So I’m not sure what that mean about his genes but that’s his breed!
I tried looking on their website, and they're aren't very helpful! It's a cross of some sort, but they are not clear about what they are crossing, so I can't tell what other genes he might be carrying.

He is 11 weeks old today! When should I expect him to start trying to mount the girls and crow and how long will it take to get fertile eggs from them? Any guess would be highly appreciated
Some cockerels start even younger than he is, and some wait until they are over 6 months old. I think he will most likely be crowing & mating within the next month or two, but that is a guess and could be way off.

I've noticed that some hens will accept mating by a young cockerel sooner than others will, so you might have a time when certain hens are laying fertile eggs and other ones are not.

The first fertile egg is usually 24 to 48 hours after the first successful mating. Some cockerels take a while to get the details figured out, and some seem to be experts from the very beginning-- like many things with chickens, there is a lot of individual variation.

Back
Top Bottom