Baby Ancona Ducks Hatching!

BoradorBeans

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Tampa, FL, USA
We've been incubating duck eggs for the first time and today is Day 27 and 4 of our 5 eggs have pipped! We've named two so far:

Kirby and Quaximus Prime

Any name ideas for the other 3?

Also... we will be looking for someone to adopt 3 of these little babies (as pets in a safe and happy environment). We are in Tampa, Florida and would be willing to drive a bit to meet the right family).

Until then... we're impatiently waiting for these little guys to break free!

Attachments

• 20231005_114452.jpg
    20231005_114452.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20231005_104749.jpg
    20231005_104749.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 10
PS. Here's a photo of the two needing a home. We call them Quaximus Prime and Cracker lol They were born October 5th, have an indoor brooder, and have been around people and hand-raised ever since. Eating chick starter and getting spring water with niacin and electrolytes. Both Anconas hatched in our home with eggs purchased from a certified Ancona small farm hatchery in Indiana. We chose this breed because we heard how tame, friendly, and easy going these guys are.

Just want to make sure they go to a loving home and are given lots of love (and when they grow up, lots of peas!).

Attachments

• 20231007_131536.jpg
    20231007_131536.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231007_131538.jpg
    20231007_131538.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 8
We've got 3! Sadly, we lost one a few hours after it hatched, poor thing. And the last egg is taking its sweet time... it finally pipped this morning.

One duckling is soooo tiny. He's the one with the most black on his head. He hatched last night and is finally trying to stand now. The others look like they've been hatched for days lol

The ducks outside hear the babies peeping in the house when I open the back door to go outside. And they all are looking at me like, "you've got to be kidding me... we don't need any more of us right now."

Attachments

• 20231006_110251.jpg
    20231006_110251.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231006_110025.jpg
    20231006_110025.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 10
We've been incubating duck eggs for the first time and today is Day 27 and 4 of our 5 eggs have pipped! We've named two so far:

Kirby and Quaximus Prime

Any name ideas for the other 3?

Also... we will be looking for someone to adopt 3 of these little babies (as pets in a safe and happy environment). We are in Tampa, Florida and would be willing to drive a bit to meet the right family).

Until then... we're impatiently waiting for these little guys to break free!
Congrats on the eggs! It must be exciting.
For the names, how about Aflac and Chicken for two of them? I can't think of another one. Chicken because it's obviously not a Chicken and Aflac because... well, you know. :)

Hello! Where would the little ducklings live now and as adults? My 5th grade teacher had us hatch chickens, and it was such a rewarding and educational experience.
We have already setup a coop for ducks including a small pond. I was going to order some Anconas online when I saw your post here in Tampa… so ironic. On holidays, the students have the option to care for the animals at home. Over the summer they will come to my house where I have a large pond. The students will spoil them for sure.

Sorry to hear that one didn’t make it. Yes, these ducks would be a regular part of our sustainable agriculture program where the students will learn how to care for and raise ducks. They will be school pets and loved by many. If you want to send me an email I can follow up with my phone number and we can talk more about our program. [email protected]

We’ve all heard of the Jackson Five. Hmmm…. your 5 could be the Quacks’n Dive. :D

Congrats on the eggs! It must be exciting.
For the names, how about Aflac and Chicken for two of them? I can't think of another one. Chicken because it's obviously not a Chicken and Aflac because... well, you know. :)
I love the irony of Chicken lol
Someone on here has a chicken named Cracker and that name makes me laugh every time I hear it and I don't know why. I think that may also be a contender 🤣

Happy Saturday. I run the Agriscience program at Wilson Middle School in Tampa. We’d be glad to adopt three

Happy Saturday. I run the Agriscience program at Wilson Middle School in Tampa and we’d be happy to adopt three Ancona ducks if they are still available. [email protected]
Hello! Where would the little ducklings live now and as adults? My 5th grade teacher had us hatch chickens, and it was such a rewarding and educational experience.

Sounds great!! I'm traveling this week and will be home over the weekend. Do you have some photos of the coop that I can share with my husband? And just to make sure... the ducks will be class pets? And should there ever be a time where you are unable to have them longterm, we will 100% take them back.

We currently have 2, not 3, as one sadly passed shortly after hatching. We don't know the genders.

Attachments

• IMG_5449.jpeg
    IMG_5449.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom