Baby Barred Plymouth Rocks. Are they both girls? 3 weeks old

elabraleon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver
Hey All, I have cutest chicks ever, and they're all supposed to be girls. What do you think? I was wondering about the barred rocks specifically, one of them seems to have a slightly larger comb than the other, yet "it" has darker feet than the other. If you look closely at the pics, the one i'm suspicious of is the one with the black marks on it's beak. We love the chicks, and it would be sad to rehome, but we can't have any roosters in the city.

70035_chicks2.jpg
70035_chicks1.jpg

70035_chicks3.jpg
70035_chicks4.jpg

Here are the two in question together:
70035_chicksaandb.jpg

Here is Chick A. Smaller Comb, Lighter Legs, darker tail feathers that don't really stick up:
70035_chicka.jpg

Here is chick B. Larger Comb, Darker Legs, bright white tail feathers with black tips, tail feathers kinda stick up:
70035_chickb.jpg

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I've read about sexing them, but I don't know how to tell if the headspot is round or diffused/blotchy. Also, the chick with the lighter silvery feathers has lighter feet and a smaller comb. So I'm a bit confused. Which chick do you think is which? Chick A/girl Chick B/boy?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Both pullets. Neither are rooster colored, not really, but sexing by coloring with barred breeds is not 100% accurate (though it's pretty darn close)

See these six week old BR siblings? Female darker, male obvious--there's another cockerel in the background, too.

DCP_7420.jpg

However, see this ancient pic of Lexie and Ivy (may she rest in peace) at 8 weeks old? Both females, but Lexie is cockerel-colored. Her comb, however, is very small.

DCP_3572LexandIvy8Weeks.jpg

I really REALLY hope you're right that both are girls!!!
big_smile.png
The one with the slightly larger comb is getting a hint of pink at the top of the comb. Does this mean anything?

However, see this ancient pic of Lexie and Ivy (may she rest in peace) at 8 weeks old? Both females, but Lexie is cockerel-colored. Her comb, however, is very small.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/ClutchHutch/Ivy and Lex/DCP_3572LexandIvy8Weeks.jpg

wow, she is light for a girl! and her comb is very small. and yellow. One of mine at three weeks has a slight pink hue. I sure hope this is normal for a lil pullet. I've had these chicks only a week and a half and am head over heels for them!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom