Baby bunny has loose stools?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
We just got this bunny this past Friday. I'm not sure how old it is, but I'd say about 6-8 weeks. It's the same size as our 6 and 8 month old guinea pigs, and appears to be a dutch rabbit.

It is currently living outside on our porch with the 2 guinea pigs. They have a 3'x4' C&C cage, with pine shaving bedding. They also have both rabbit and guinea pig pellets, and wood chews toys. I also give them some timothy hay.

I noticed a huge pile of what looked like poo in the cage. The little bunny has poo all over her feet. Now, it is possible that the goose pooped in their cage, since it was on the porch today, but the top of the cage is enclosed, and I didn't see any poop on the wire. So I'm fairly certain it came from the bunny.

What can I do for this poor little thing? It has just started today.

Edit to fix subject
smile.png

Last edited:
Sorry about your baby bunny. Not sure how to handle it, did you try looking it up on line? Usually they all say go to vet, but sometimes someone will give some ideas. I'm thinking you should move bunny out of guinea pig cage for now, what if it's catching? Hope things work out okay.
fl.gif

Okay, well after doing a little bit of searching on bunnies, I realize that I misspoke originally. The bunny doesn't have diarrhea per se, just a large amount of loose stool. I assume this is due to a change in diet among other things. From what I read, as long as it doesn't turn to watery diarrhea it should be okay, and go away once the bunny adjusts? So should I increase the amount of hay available? I think that might help to get her moving in the right direction
tongue.png
I've had rabbits before, but never one so young that wasn't with its mama.
smile.png

Any help is appreciated.

What other symptoms is this bunny showing? Bloat stomche? Lack of appetite. When you want us to diagnose a sick rabbit over the internet its best to give us every little detial that you see. If this bunny is eating, I would cut back on the pellets for about a day and feed it good quality grass hay. Did you get this guy from a breeder? if so you want to feed it the same type of pellets the previous owner fed. Its also possible it might be getting too much protien from the guinea pig pellets too. Whch can cause loose stools to severe muciod enteritis. Which can kill the rabbit. Your bunny needs to be in its own cage away from the guinea pigs. Their nutritional requirements are different. Plus there is always the chance that one species will hurt the other. Bunnies need pellets that are low in protien(about 16%), and high in fiber(20%). Guinea pigs need a pellet that is high in protein. A lot of piggie pellets will go about 20% or higher.

The bunny doesn't have a bloated stomach, and I also haven't seen it eating any of the pellets. It nibbles on the hay sometimes, but I've not seen it eat the pellets at all. It also has been drinking a lot of water. When it was just the 2 GPs, I would have to fill the water bottle once every 3-4 days. Since getting the bunny it's been a daily thing.

The bunny pellets say they are 16%, the GPs are 20%.

The bunny needs his own cage. Those pellets are probably giving him muciod enteritis. Is the poop dark, or clear and jelly like?

You can throw some (a small amount) of oats in their feed also to help with loose stools.

Agreed, separate him from the Guinea pigs. I also wouldn't feed him their pellets. It sounds like it's too much protein. Rabbits should have limited amounts of green vegetation. I never fed mine any. Increase the hay, try adding in some alfalfa. Keep a close eye on his pellet consumption. You can try adding some yogurt drops to get him eating. It will also help with the good bacteria in his system. Rabbits are really pretty easy. Hay is usually the answer to anything, especially loose stools.

As for age, dutch rabbits aren't a very big breed. Probably only mature to about 8 lbs. I'd have to see a picture of him, but I bet he's older than 6-8 weeks.

I would seperate him from the GPs, as folks have said. They can have playtime together, but I would pick up the food when they are together. GP food has too much protein for him.

I have to disagree though that rabbits shouldn't have green vegetation. That IS what rabbits eat naturally. Timothy or orchard hay is great for them. Hay should be the bulk of the diet. It keeps their guts moving along, alleviates boredom, and helps trim down the teeth. Pellets are important to give them balanced nutrition. But for bunnies older than 6 mos, I include green leafy vegetables. You can find good lists of what greens are acceptable and you have to introduce it in small amounts.

But with bunny's current stomach upset, I would restrict him to hay only.

Back
Top Bottom