chickenchick2714

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
I’m new to chicks I have a couple week old EE and a few day old brahmas. All of the chicks have been super healthy, checked for pasty butt daily or multiple times a day, energetic, comfortable temp (not huddled or in seperate corners) and eating/drinking. Today one of the brahmas Seems so tired she falls asleep in my hands when I pick her up and is a little slower than the rest of the bunch, I gave her a small syringe of sugar water as much as she would take. Are some chicks just sleepier than others? Or is there anything I should do?

Are you using a heat lamp? If so with the light always being on chicks do not know when is day/night since their circadian rhythm is usually signaled by the sun going down and coming up. This can cause them to sleep during the day at times.

Are you using a heat lamp? If so with the light always being on chicks do not know when is day/night since their circadian rhythm is usually signaled by the sun going down and coming up. This can cause them to sleep during the day at times.
I’m sorry I didn’t see the rest of the post I only saw the heat lamp part but should I turn the lights off at night?

I would be concerned with any behavior that differs from the group, you are right to keep an eye on the little one. I personally always turn off any light at night and rely on the a safe-contact heating plate and their cuddles for warmth at night. I also wouldn’t use a syringe ever to hydrate a baby chick, it is incredibly easy for them to accidentally aspirate the fluid into their vulnerable lungs. Instead saturate a cotton tip, and press it to the tip of their beak and they should drink it right up.

My cocktail for any chick that raises red flags is always 1 yolk mixed in with save a chick electrolytes.

hope she turns out to just be a sleepy one, sending healing vibes!

I would be concerned with any behavior that differs from the group, you are right to keep an eye on the little one. I personally always turn off any light at night and rely on the a safe-contact heating plate and their cuddles for warmth at night. I also wouldn’t use a syringe ever to hydrate a baby chick, it is incredibly easy for them to accidentally aspirate the fluid into their vulnerable lungs. Instead saturate a cotton tip, and press it to the tip of their beak and they should drink it right up.

My cocktail for any chick that raises red flags is always 1 yolk mixed in with save a chick electrolytes.

hope she turns out to just be a sleepy one, sending healing vibes!
Oh gosh I had no idea about the syringe im glad I didn’t give her much! That’s good to know! Should I mix the yolk into to the water and seperate her or just put it in the water they are all drinking or only mix the yolk with the electrolytes? Thank you!

Oh gosh I had no idea about the syringe im glad I didn’t give her much! That’s good to know! Should I mix the yolk into to the water and seperate her or just put it in the water they are all drinking or only mix the yolk with the electrolytes? Thank you!
I wouldn’t separate her if the only difference you see is lethargy, the stress could do more harm than good. It won’t hurt to give them all yolk but it needs to be consumed within 24 hours and it should be well mixed with water, you don’t want it drying thick on their tiny beaks/noses/feathers.

The save a chick packets are made to be mixed with 1 gallon batches, you can use a jug premix and leave that in the fridge for whenever anyone needs a little pick me up.

I’m new to chicks I have a couple week old EE and a few day old brahmas. All of the chicks have been super healthy, checked for pasty butt daily or multiple times a day, energetic, comfortable temp (not huddled or in seperate corners) and eating/drinking. Today one of the brahmas Seems so tired she falls asleep in my hands when I pick her up and is a little slower than the rest of the bunch, I gave her a small syringe of sugar water as much as she would take. Are some chicks just sleepier than others? Or is there anything I should do?
We just got our flock of 18 girls two weeks ago. We were new to baby chicks too, so we paid extra attention to everything we did. We started out with a heat lamp (recommended by our hatchery) and a heat panel. I think we had the temps a little too high, and some of them got pasty butt. We do check butts everyday, multiple times. If one of them is in distress, she will peep louder than the others. Always listen to them. As far as sleeping, ours started off gorging themselves on food and water, and then run under the heat panel and go to sleep. Some could sleep standing, and almost fall over before waking themselves up. I agree that the syringe could cause aspiration, so be very careful feeding them liquids. We knew about them getting used to natural light cycles, so we decided to get rid of the heat lamp, which was on 24/7, and just use 2 heat panels. We put a night light on top of the brooder so they have light all night long, but they seem to be sleeping most of the night. They'll let you know if they need more light. The thing to watch in their poop is blood. Chick poop, in all its forms, colors, and consistencies, ALWAYS looks suspect of something wrong. If any of your chicks have blood in their poop, get them on the Corid treatment. Hope your little one perks up soon. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom