Baby chick can't open beak

NAlexandra

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
I have a 1 week old silkie chick who can't open his beak.I first noticed it since he was in it's egg since he couldn't hatch and i fully assisted him in hatching.He peeped but it was sort of a soft peeping not like the other chicks.The chick is now a week old and i thought that he was eating since i saw him pecking at the food.When i picked him up i felt that he is much lighter than the other chicks which led me to checking his beak one more time.That's when i noticed that he can't open it's beak ( he opens it verry little, he can pick up only the dust from the crumbles).I tried to open his beak and jt only open 2-3 milimeters measured at the tip of the beak before the chicks starts screaming and when i let go the beak closes immediately almost like snapping back into place( when he tries to open it, he manages to open less that than i could).Tkday i soaked some of his food in water with some vitamins and gave it to him and he ate some but very little and very slow.
I searched the forums and discovered a post from 10 years ago in which the lady had a pullet who couldn't oped her beak, but there was no update on the thread.Do tou think that i can open his beak little by little every day hoping thant it will get better and he will be able to open it more?
Is there anything that i can do to make him better?

Attachments

• 16914196336743016997396024192056.jpg
    16914196336743016997396024192056.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 90
No experience with a chick not able to open their beak, but Silkie chicks sometimes hatch with a vitamin E deficiency, and that may be behind this. Continue with the vitamins and include the oil from a capsule of vitamin E400iu each day, as well.

No experience with a chick not able to open their beak, but Silkie chicks sometimes hatch with a vitamin E deficiency, and that may be behind this. Continue with the vitamins and include the oil from a capsule of vitamin E400iu each day, as well.
I have vitamin e plus selenium that i put in their water.I will try with the vitamin e oil

Back
Top Bottom