Baby chick cant stand on its own. lays on side and pushes its self around.

deputychicken21

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Ozark Alabama
Hello
Hatched some Icelandic's about 72 hours ago. The last chick to hatch was a day later than the others. It appears to have a neurological problem. It can not stand up right and walk on its own. It lays on its side and pushes itself around. It is the biggest fluffiest healthiest LOOKING chick in the bunch. The problem is not with its legs they are well developed and in their proper place. The chick is super strong and will set up right as long as I hold it that way. I have been feeding and watering it by hand. Any ideas?
Thank you

I had one like that and gave it Save-a-chick vitamins with a eye dropper every couple hours and mashed up cooked eggs and within 12 hours it was right as rain : ) If you don't have Save-a-chick vits you can give it infant Poly-vi-sol drops and the cooked egg mashed up for added protein. Good Luck!

I had one like that and gave it Save-a-chick vitamins with a eye dropper every couple hours and mashed up cooked eggs and within 12 hours it was right as rain : ) If you don't have Save-a-chick vits you can give it infant Poly-vi-sol drops and the cooked egg mashed up for added protein. Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the info, I'm trying exactly what you said.Hank you

Sounds like Encephalomalacia (Crazy Chick disease).
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/218/vitamin-e-deficiency
Vitamin E deficiency causes it. Use poultry vitamins in water which contain A,D, & E. Protein isn't a concern since the starter feed should have plenty. If you're feeding Dumor or Purina, stop feeding that and get a better quality ration. Fried Green mentioned Poultry Nutri Drench, which contains vitamin E needed, and is easier to administer to a small chick than a vitamin E cap. Supplementing for 5 days should take care of the problem if there is no brain damage.

Sounds like Encephalomalacia (Crazy Chick disease).
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/218/vitamin-e-deficiency
Vitamin E deficiency causes it. Use poultry vitamins in water which contain A,D, & E. Protein isn't a concern since the starter feed should have plenty. If you're feeding Dumor or Purina, stop feeding that and get a better quality ration. Fried Green mentioned Poultry Nutri Drench, which contains vitamin E needed, and is easier to administer to a small chick than a vitamin E cap. Supplementing for 5 days should take care of the problem if there is no brain damage.

Thank you so much I think you hit the nail on the head!! I feed Nutrena Nature Wise ( I guess thats a good one). Here are some pics and I will start the extra vitamins immediately. The dang thing is so strong and healthy looking I hate to cull if I can help it. I built this little tray to force it to stand up right in.

Thank you so much I think you hit the nail on the head!! I feed Nutrena Nature Wise ( I guess thats a good one). Here are some pics and I will start the extra vitamins immediately. The dang thing is so strong and healthy looking I hate to cull if I can help it. I built this little tray to force it to stand up right in.

Good for you. Get the chick to drink the water with poultry vitamins in it too so it doesn't get dehydrated. Don't force feed though. You don't want to aspirate the chick. Most feed stores carry Poultry Nutri-Drench, so call around to see who has it.The sooner the better. Make sure you keep it warm (around 85 degrees).

Last edited:
Let us know how that chick's doing when you get a chance. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I want to say thank you for all your help your diagnosis was spot on. I found nutri- drench at TSC and started her on it. Unfortunately it seems there was too much brain damage no matter what I did it could not function on its own so I decided to put it to down. After becoming so attached I could not use the standard methods of culling so I built a carbon dioxide chamber and used vinegar and baking soda. It went to sleep with no apparent suffering. (seemed like a painless way to go). Now that I've learned what condition it had I can can catch the next one sooner.

Thank you so much!!

I want to say thank you for all your help your diagnosis was spot on. I found nutri- drench at TSC and started her on it. Unfortunately it seems there was too much brain damage no matter what I did it could not function on its own so I decided to put it to down. After becoming so attached I could not use the standard methods of culling so I built a carbon dioxide chamber and used vinegar and baking soda. It went to sleep with no apparent suffering. (seemed like a painless way to go). Now that I've learned what condition it had I can can catch the next one sooner.

Thank you so much!!

I'm sorry to hear that and have been through it myself. I just wish what I suspected had better results for you and the chick. Some people may get tired of me saying it in so many posts, but supplementing vitamins in water that is not chilled makes a difference from the first day forward. That first introduction into the heated brooder is when I let them all get a drink, then remove the water for a few minutes, and show them feed. I don't want them ingesting too much liquid at first because they can aspirate themselves. They will drink more supplemented water and get more nutrition if they aren't eating much afterwards. Top quality formulated feed makes a big difference compared to those companies known for nutrient deficient feed. Sometimes you get a runt or a weak one that gets pushed aside by more vigorous chicks. I always observe chicks closely when raising them because I want 100% survival. I make sure they are all eating enough, add more feeding/watering stations if needed. Shipping stress is very hard on chicks. Sometimes you can't get them past it. The closer the supplier, usually the easier it is on shipped chicks. It is even better if you can pick them up and drive them home in a warm vehicle.

Would poultry tonic be good enough for a chick with the same problem?

Back
Top Bottom