baby chick in trouble

Seems something is wrong with her legs, if you put her under the heater doesn't she settle down?
Maybe let her rest if she will.

She kind of looks like she's splayed legged. You can try hobbling her legs so that they stay in the correct position. It can be caused by a vitamin deficiency or keeping them on a too slick surface. The NutriDrench should help. They can't walk to food/water/heat so eventually begin to fail to thrive.

If you Google "splayed leg chick" or "spraddle leg chick" you should find some helpful articles.

Last edited:
How do I get the nutridrench in her? Its seems now she wont eat or drink....very worried. She was never on a slick surface. I had electrolytes and probiotic in her water before.

Seems something is wrong with her legs, if you put her under the heater doesn't she settle down?
Maybe let her rest if she will.
Yes she settles down. The only two times I handled her is when I videod and cleaned her butt. I just tried to give her some crumbled egg yolk with her crumbles but shes not eating or drinking now
sad.png

How do I get the nutridrench in her? Its seems now she wont eat or drink....very worried. She was never on a slick surface. I had electrolytes and probiotic in her water before.
Soak a Qtip and hold it against the side of her beak...it should wick into her mouth and she should swallow.
Rubbing a finger gently under her beak and the front of the neck can spur them to swallow.
Had to do this with a heat stroked hen last summer, just a bit at time cause it stressed her out and she'd start panting.

ok Ill try that because I dont think shes going to make it. She moved from under the MHP and she is just lying on her side. I will try Q tip

ok Ill try that because I dont think shes going to make it. She moved from under the MHP and she is just lying on her side. I will try Q tip
OhMan...I am so sorry you have to go thru this.....some of them just don't make it for several reasons.
Most I think something is just wrong inside.

Tried the q-tip. She may have gotten a little tiny bit but not sure. I dont want to add to her stress. I took another short video to see if this helps. She can support her weight but just seems like she cannot stay upright on her own.

I just don't want her to suffer or infect my other chicks if this is some kind of sickness.

0.jpg

She kind of looks like she's splayed legged. You can try hobbling her legs so that they stay in the correct position. It can be caused by a vitamin deficiency or keeping them on a too slick surface. The NutriDrench should help. They can't walk to food/water/heat so eventually begin to fail to thrive.

If you Google "splayed leg chick" or "spraddle leg chick" you should find some helpful articles.
I dont think its spraddle leg as she was walking fine the first few days. But thanks for your help

OhMan...I am so sorry you have to go thru this.....some of them just don't make it for several reasons.
Most I think something is just wrong inside.
yes, I understand this and I agree sometimes there is just something that isnt right. Anyway I just dont want her to suffer or infect my other chicks who are doing fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom