baby chick in trouble

Tried the q-tip. She may have gotten a little tiny bit but not sure. I dont want to add to her stress. I took another short video to see if this helps. She can support her weight but just seems like she cannot stay upright on her own.

I just don't want her to suffer or infect my other chicks if this is some kind of sickness.

Can you put her in a cup to help her stay upright while you hydrate her some more?
I work on chicks under one of the jointed long arm utility lights to keep them warm.
I doubt it's an illness, and the others have already been exposed if it is.
It could be something neurological too..again, genetic or hatching issue.

I dribbled at least a little nutridrench in with a small medicine syringe. She seems strong when I hold her she fights with some strength. She just cannot keep her balance. I think Ive done all I can do for now. I have water with a drop of nutridrench in a cap with marbles within her reach. I have sprinkled crumbles on paper towels so she can see and find them easily. She is warm. I bought another heating pad so I made her her own MHP and I put her in her own brooder for now. I think thats all I can do and hope for the best. I will update in the morning. I really really
appreciate all of your help. This was horrible today because I had my web cam on her all day while I was at work and there was nothing I could do. Anyway we will see what tomorrow brings. Thank you all.
hugs.gif

I dribbled at least a little nutridrench in with a small medicine syringe. She seems strong when I hold her she fights with some strength. She just cannot keep her balance. I think Ive done all I can do for now. I have water with a drop of nutridrench in a cap with marbles within her reach. I have sprinkled crumbles on paper towels so she can see and find them easily. She is warm. I bought another heating pad so I made her her own MHP and I put her in her own brooder for now. I think thats all I can do and hope for the best. I will update in the morning. I really really
appreciate all of your help. This was horrible today because I had my web cam on her all day while I was at work and there was nothing I could do. Anyway we will see what tomorrow brings. Thank you all.
hugs.gif
Ohgawd that must have been awful.

She may need a buddy to keep her quiet.
Best of cLuck(cHeep?)

I have a chick doing the EXACT same thing. The odd feathers look the same too. Mine may be a few days older, the feathers have filled in a little more. I just don't know what to do. This is also my first experience with chicks. I have 6, and this is the only one having trouble. He/she will wobble to the food and water, sometimes the poor thing appears to have narcolepsy. He/she sleeps or sits still most of the time. I don't want to let him/her to suffer, I just don't know what to do. I did change to medicated starter feed, that's the only thing I could do different. The other chicks seem to protect him/her, so I haven't separated them. If they start pecking or being mean, I'll have to.

I have a chick doing the EXACT same thing. The odd feathers look the same too. Mine may be a few days older, the feathers have filled in a little more. I just don't know what to do. This is also my first experience with chicks. I have 6, and this is the only one having trouble. He/she will wobble to the food and water, sometimes the poor thing appears to have narcolepsy. He/she sleeps or sits still most of the time. I don't want to let him/her to suffer, I just don't know what to do. I did change to medicated starter feed, that's the only thing I could do different. The other chicks seem to protect him/her, so I haven't separated them. If they start pecking or being mean, I'll have to.
Sorry this is happening to both of us. I wish this was a happier Welcome to BYC.

Hows your chick today?

Chick is still alive this morning. I definitely got a more nutridrench in her this morning. How often should I try to give it to her? Thanks

Chick is still alive this morning. I definitely got a more nutridrench in her this morning. How often should I try to give it to her? Thanks
Is she drinking on her own at all?
You could put the ND in her waterer.
Any better mobility this morning?
Is she eating anything?

Otherwise, I don't think you can give her too much if used at the proper dilution,
tho I don't know much about the stuff as I haven't used it(was using chiksaver for the heat stroker).

Back
Top Bottom