baby chick just hatched, now what do i do?

thriftforfun

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
hi everyone, i am new to raising quail. my first egg hatched tonight (it is so cute) and now i don't know what to do with it. do i give it food and water now and do i leave it in the incubator? thanks,misty

Leave it in the incubator until its dry or fluffy, so around 24 hours after hatching, it has enough yolk to survive about 2 days without food or water. After that you can put it in the brooder, with food and water.

Good luck and congratulations!
clap.gif

eggsrcool
smile.png

Quail actually can't live as long in the incubator as chickens...12 hours is good...24 tops, before the babies will need food and water.

I wait until they dry off, check to make sure there aren't any more pips, and then take the babies out and into the brooder as soon as I can without risking any other eggs.

Quote:
This is what I do also, just be sure to have some very warm water to add to your water troughs/sponges to help the humidity come back up quickly.

i now have two little babies. i do not have a broder so i made one myself. i have a small aquariam that i put a heating pad on the bottom, then covered it with pine shaving and have a light over top. they seem very comfortable and have been drinking and eating. All the quail i have are Coturnix, i have a few italian, tux., and just the regular so it will be interesting to see what they will look like. i am trying to post a picture, i hope it will show up, if not.....any suggestions? thanks everyone for the info!!!
mail

Back
Top Bottom