Baby chick leg issue

CoolClucker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Indiana USA
This happened this afternoon and I'm not sure how. I'm guessing she got stepped on by the other chickens. She cant bear weight in it, she just sits, and her wing on that side is droopy. The affected leg seems longer than the other so I'm guessing a break or dislocated. What can I do for her? She's in the garage in a brooder and was great this morning. She isnt walking at all. She peeps when I pick her up otherwise just sits and is kinda lethargic. Please help .

Hi @CoolClucker I’m so sorry nobody answered.. I’m not a chicken or trauma expert but your way of thinking seems logical. How is she doing today?

can you post a picture of your chick?

She is doing much better. Thank you for asking. I thought it was her leg or maybe a stroke because I noticed her wing was drooping too. She couldn't keep her head up much and slept a lot. She couldn't stand and could barely walk. She's also the smallest despite being the same age.

If anyone reads this and has a similar issue this is what I did and it worked. I took some chick starter and added a little water until it was mushy. She actually gobbled it up. She refused scrambled egg and sugar water, even cottage cheese. But that she ate. I also gave her some poultry NutriDrench. That stuff is amazing. This is the 2nd chicken of mine it's saved. Just a tiny bit because she only weighs grams, but I gave it to her every day, hand fed her the wetted crumbles, dipped her beak so she'd drink every 2 hours, right before bed and first thing in the morning. Now she's fine, up running around with everyone else. Like she was never sick. I'm not sure what happened but I'm guessing being the smallest she got pushed out of the way for food and got weak. They have a long food dish but the babies don't sit still when they eat either.

Anyway ty again for checking in, and hope that maybe this can help someone else.

She is doing much better. Thank you for asking. I thought it was her leg or maybe a stroke because I noticed her wing was drooping too. She couldn't keep her head up much and slept a lot. She couldn't stand and could barely walk. She's also the smallest despite being the same age.

If anyone reads this and has a similar issue this is what I did and it worked. I took some chick starter and added a little water until it was mushy. She actually gobbled it up. She refused scrambled egg and sugar water, even cottage cheese. But that she ate. I also gave her some poultry NutriDrench. That stuff is amazing. This is the 2nd chicken of mine it's saved. Just a tiny bit because she only weighs grams, but I gave it to her every day, hand fed her the wetted crumbles, dipped her beak so she'd drink every 2 hours, right before bed and first thing in the morning. Now she's fine, up running around with everyone else. Like she was never sick. I'm not sure what happened but I'm guessing being the smallest she got pushed out of the way for food and got weak. They have a long food dish but the babies don't sit still when they eat either.

Anyway ty again for checking in, and hope that maybe this can help someone else.
Glad she’s doing better!

Back
Top Bottom