Baby chick lethargic, have lost three others from this same group.

I made her drink some water and a bit of the wetted food. She was not enthusiastic about either. She had pooped quite a bit (brown, stringy), but I noticed it had a small amount of pinkish mucus. I did not aggressively clean her vent, so I don't think it's from that. She did get up and stumble around to the cooler side of the box, instead of the warmer part where I had placed her. Otherwise she's pretty floppy. Now researching cocidosis. It's nearly 3:30 a.m. and I will likely be headed to tractor supply pretty early in the morning, so I need to go to sleep....I'm sure I'll be up hourly checking on her though. Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming! I really want this little chick to live!

Cocidosis is a thought. I wouldn't think it would be worms either. Let me no how it's doing tomorrow.

Sadly, she didn't make it. Do I need to give the remaining birds and sort of preventative? (We are using medicated feed, they are not vaccinated for Mareks {they are bantams}) I'm hoping it was just shipping stress. Either way, not looking forward to when my daughter wakes and I have to tell her that the chick died. :-(

Temps are throwing me since we have Celsius over here but if they all, including barely able to move ones are heading to the cooler side could you have the brooder turned up too high for two week old chicks?

Have you calibrated the thermostat to check its not hotter than its reading?

Last edited:
It's exactly 95 degress (the recommended temp) for their age. The other side is quite a bit cooler (I'm guessing 85, w/out moving my thermometer to check for sure). I think temps are ok. The others seem fine, but so did she yesterday. What seems to happen is chick weakens, then becomes lethargic, then dies. We just got them on Wednesday, they shipped on Monday. All of the remaining chicks seem healthy and active. (But they do tend to favor the middle/cooler side, so I think I will raise the light a bit)

You can calibrate the thermostats, can't remember how but google would tell you. :). They can be out.

Hope the rest end up okay! Must be awful for the poor kids :-(

Back
Top Bottom