Baby chick lethargic standing tall and looks like she’s trying to poop

How is she doing?
When you feel of her rear is there any swelling of the abdomen?

B3 (Niacin) is good for leg health in ducks.
Chicks that are deficient in Niacin can present with bowing of the legs, poor feathering, dermatitis of the feet and head and enlarged hock joint. It is important, but "usually" feed should should have a sufficient amount.
She’s drinking, eating and pooping but it seems that she’s having trouble standing for long period of time. If she needs b2 how much does she need and what is the best way to administer it?
I don’t know how to check for swelling of the abdomen. I don’t see anything abnormal with her other than sitting a lot . She was always the one to be under the heater more than the others and she was very tiny.
Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
Just from my experience with shipped or feed store chicks (who have also been shipped in the mail,) when one has pasty butt, they tend to get it more than once for up to a week, even without too much heat. I always check them daily, since if they have it, they don’t eat and drink normally. It could be that there is some solid stoll stuck up high. There also could be a crop or gizzard blockage, from eating bedding. You can dip the chick’s beak for a half second in water to get it drinking more. Hopefully it will get sorted out. The coconut oil, solidified slightly in the fridge and chopped into tiny pieces might be an option tomorrow, if it is not pooping.
She’s eating, drinking and pooping. She just seems to have trouble standing for long periods of time. Thank you for your help.

She’s drinking, eating and pooping but it seems that she’s having trouble standing for long period of time. If she needs b2 how much does she need and what is the best way to administer it?
I don’t know how to check for swelling of the abdomen. I don’t see anything abnormal with her other than sitting a lot . She was always the one to be under the heater more than the others and she was very tiny.
Thank you so much for your help.
I would give her 1/4 tablet of B-Complex daily.
Compare her to other chicks, feel her bottom to see if there's any swelling/difference.

Back
Top Bottom