Baby chick on hocks and eyes closed

Emmilygracee

Hatching
Mar 23, 2021
Hi everybody, I have a two or three week old baby chick that I purchased with 5 other baby chicks at my local tractor supply store two days ago and I noticed in the brooder that she was walking on her hocks and her eyes were shut and she seemed to just stand in one place or was swaying trying to around. This morning upon more research I tried to dab some warm water on her eyes with a Q-tip and gently open them and she would open them for a second and then close them right back up. I've been giving them starter chick feed, and I've also been giving them vitamins in their water. I'm really at a loss as I've had a chick with splayed legs/walking on her hocks before, but not one that refuses to open up her eyes. There isn't any damage to her eyes that I can see externally, so I was really wondering where do I go from here? I'm most concerned with her ability to get food and water, as she doesn't seem to be laying down, just swaying back and forth or sleeping sitting on her hocks. Thanks everyone! tempImagehxQj4j.jpg tempImagez5Ebgv.jpg

At this age, and history, it is most likely transition stress and possible residual bacterial overgrowth from hatch (the number one reason for failure to thrive). She is very weak which is why she sits back on her hocks and won't open her eyes.

Eye dropper the vitamin-electrolyte water into her, about every 2 hours, being careful not to flood her lungs. If you can get a scrambled egg in her that would be helpful. I would recommend antibiotics, but you can't get them at the feed store anymore (most vets won't write a script for chickens...but you might get lucky if you don't mind the expense). I think a lot of owners are using oregano oil to help with bacterial overgrowths, but I don't know the concentration.

She may not survive simply because her system isn't strong enough. Hope for the best but you likely need to prepare for the worse.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom