Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorseCrazyy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    Ok I know y'all are sick of me and my dilemma over what watt bulb I should use. I am really worried that the chicks are too warm. Especially the older ones. They are in the house and I've been using a 250 watt red bulb. I tied a regular 100 watt halogen bulb but felt like barely put out any heat. The light is at one end of brooder and they can move away from it but there is also a feeder and water dispenser and a log for perching. Guess I'm just being paranoid but I frett about them. They are all acting normal and eating and drinking.
    Yea, I know, I sound crazy right. Just new to all this. Thanks for dealing with me :)

2. chickogolden

chickogolden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    SE Ohio
    The chicks are cute but I love that beard.

1 person likes this.
  3. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    depends on what you are brooding them in i usually do 250 for a large area 4 x 2 ft, 125 for a smaller are / tub , 1 or two weeks (2 for bantam) , then 125, then a 100 watt regular bulb then either nothing or a 60 watt bulb..don"t have to raise and lower and decrease fire risk and power bill win win.....but basically if they pile they are cold if they are way spread out they are hot..if ther seems to be a mixture some under the heat some not it is just right.[​IMG]

4. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    They are in a cattle water trough from TSC. It black rubbery material. The light is a foot to a foot and a half from bottom of brooder. The container is close to the 4x2 measurements. I have some that are bout 3 weeks some 2 weeks and 2 Roos that are a week or so. What do ya suggest? Where can you find a 125 watt bulb?

5. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    [​IMG]
    This is them right now. This is their set-up.

6. MeatNeggs2012

MeatNeggs2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Berlin Heights, Ohio
    [​IMG] One of my chicks I got in a bantam assortment. Not sure what he/she is but enjoying it while still little, they grow so fast!

7. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    TSC has them item #320056099 or 350412699 one is $3.49 one is $3.99 they are white but you don't need red ..red can sometimes stop them from picking at each other but not always...you want to get the temp down slowly to room temp..so they are prepared to live outside..

8. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    Ok will check it out! Thanks!

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Be careful that it doesn't turn into ' pasty butt ', I put a couple of drops of apple cider vinegar in their water to prevent this condition.

10. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    Pasty butt is when it sticks to their vent, correct??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by