Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

So far I haven't had any get it stuck on their vent but have had a few get it stuck in the down below their vent. Got off with holding their bottoms under warm water then blow drying.

[/IMG]
I got this red basking light at Petsmart. It's 150 watts so I am going to try it. It's about 20-24 inches from floor of brooder, so I think it will put off enough heat. Going to give it a whirl anyway.

Ok I know y'all are sick of me and my dilemma over what watt bulb I should use. I am really worried that the chicks are too warm. Especially the older ones. They are in the house and I've been using a 250 watt red bulb. I tied a regular 100 watt halogen bulb but felt like barely put out any heat. The light is at one end of brooder and they can move away from it but there is also a feeder and water dispenser and a log for perching. Guess I'm just being paranoid but I frett about them. They are all acting normal and eating and drinking.
Yea, I know, I sound crazy right. Just new to all this. Thanks for dealing with me
smile.png
If you're brooding inside and the room temp is over 60 degrees you can actually just use a 60 - 100 watt white incandescent bulb(no tough use coatings tho) should be plenty to keep them warm.

Put a thermometer on the floor of the brooder directly under the light to see how warm it is, should be about 80-90 degrees, and adjust height of lamp or wattage of bulb accordingly. Also pay attention to chicks behavior; if they're piled right under the light - it's too cold, if they're scattered on edges of brooder - it's too hot, if they're milling around all over - it's just right.

I got this red basking light at Petsmart. It's 150 watts so I am going to try it. It's about 20-24 inches from floor of brooder, so I think it will put off enough heat. Going to give it a whirl anyway.
Do you have a temp gauge in the brooder?
The Brooder Temp Formula
Week 1= 90-95°F
Week 2= 85°F
Week 3= 80° F
Week 3= 75° F
Week 4= 70° F
Week 5= 65°F or above

Back
Top Bottom