Baby chick really not doing well--please help

Kadieladie

Chirping
5 Years
May 5, 2015
Hello All -
I've got two baby chicks--unsure of their breed. Today is Saturday and they hatched Tuesday or Wednesday this week. We brought them home Thursday evening. Friday morning all seemed well. As the day went on Friday one seemed incredibly lethargic. Today it's not standing at all, laying down, not opening eyes, seems like its breathing hard. I've checked the vent--not pasty. I've been hand feeding water every couple of hours, and on advice from a friend tried some molasses water. I also hand fed some egg yolk. The other chick is in the brooder, hopping all over, having a great day. I'm really worried about this little one. Anything else I should be trying?

It sounds like you are doing what you can - keeping her hydrated, keing her warm - you could try NutriDrench undiluted, a drop or two a few times a day, that is vitamins and molasses. But as was told to me there is "failure to thrive" which sometimes happens, and if it's that, there's nothing really that can be done, it can be genetics, a heart problem, something internal is not developing correctly or even the stress of the trip home and the new environment - maybe the little one started out weak to begin with when hatched. If the little one passes my sympathies to you, know that you have done what you could. 😢

get her some save a chick electrolites at tractor supply. and just continue to try but I'll tell you it does not sound good. mine did the same thing and died in my hands. took me down for 2 days i didnt feel right at all till people here told me it happens alot when they come to you sick. just give them what you can and if they survive thats great and if they don't its ok too because you did your best.

I had one that way too. When she was almost 2 weeks, she still looked like a day old chick. She would stay wherever I put her. I feed her egg yolk too but she wouldn't eat very much. I brought her inside but because of the AC she got cold really fast so I would periodically bring her outside. She died the next day unfortunately. That's nature though. Sometimes you can't stop it. And that's ok. You are doing what you can for her and so I'll pray that she makes it.

I'm sorry that you are having to go through this, I too had a chick that had an issue with her hip & foot & i did everything that I could think of & some things I saw on here also. She did pass @ 6 days after hatch & it took me out also, I truly hope she can hold on & pull through for you. We are all here for you ❤ & your babies!

So sorry to hear about your little baby
20200629_222756.jpg

I'm very sorry that she passed. She was loved and cared for while here. Know that you did your best, and it very likely is that nothing could have prevented it. This happens. Many of us have been in your place and know this pain. 😢

Back
Top Bottom