Baby chick suddenly crashing (need help)

Pics
I was hoping to hear a positive update. Things appear to be going better for your chicks. How are you holding up?
Yes, things are looking much better. After taking away the supplement in the water the poops are looking totally normal again, so I think it was just a fluke or I might have added a bit too much in. All is well.

Kind of you to ask about me. I am doing ok. I have been sad over this chick for nearly two weeks, so I'm looking forward to not having to worry. I did decide to cancel my other chick order, though. I'm not giving up, but they are scheduled to be here right as these chicks should be transitioning outside permanently. I think I just want a little break from it all, then maybe try again next year once everyone is settled in where they are supposed to be.

Kind of you to ask about me. I am doing ok. I have been sad over this chick for nearly two weeks, so I'm looking forward to not having to worry. I did decide to cancel my other chick order, though. I'm not giving up, but they are scheduled to be here right as these chicks should be transitioning outside permanently. I think I just want a little break from it all, then maybe try again next year once everyone is settled in where they are supposed to be.

Well, I can understand the need to get a little emotional distance to protect yourself. I have been raising small animals, on and off, for 40+ years. Over that time, I have lost my share of animals under my care. It is never pleasant, but I have learned how to deal with it for myself.

I hope you can find a way to care for your chicks without draining yourself so completely. If you can, then I believe raising chickens will be much more rewarding and far less stressful for you. Perhaps your next go round, next year, will be better. We all learn from personal experience and I like to think we get better at it for ourselves and our animals under our care.

:old And I am no stranger to heartbreak with caring for small animals. A number of years ago I had a bunch of pedigree rabbits. During a bitter cold winter, I lost them all. I could not keep the water from freezing long enough for them to drink and keep themselves hydrated. It gets down to -40F here in winter, and unheated water in an outdoor cage freezes solid in minutes. As much as I liked raising rabbits, I decided not to have rabbits again unless I had a building for shelter and some way to heat the water during those cold winter days.

@gtaus Thank you again for your words of encouragement.

I'm a sensitive person, so a bad spell can really dampen my mood. I'm hopeful by this time next year these chicks will be doing well and I can have that confidence boost I need to try again :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom