Baby chick with bad leg or knee?

FrankieF

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2018
hello all... I have an 8 week old chick with something wrong with her leg. She favors it and when walks the knee is out to the side of her? I’m not sure if it’s dislocated or broken but she can still move it and her toes. Can anyone help with info? I added a picture

Attachments

• 45EC1BCF-B590-4BFF-9F21-61178C6B9BE9.jpeg
    45EC1BCF-B590-4BFF-9F21-61178C6B9BE9.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 69
When did this start? Was it like this at birth?
Good chance it wont fix itself, if youre attached to her then just baby her and make sure the others dont pick on her when she's older. If you are not attached you could always cull her.

I wouldn’t leave her like that, I would take her to a vet so she may have a chance of not being permanently disabled. They may be able to help straighten and splint it.

When did this start? Was it like this at birth?
Good chance it wont fix itself, if youre attached to her then just baby her and make sure the others dont pick on her when she's older. If you are not attached you could always cull her.
It seemed to have happen this week

It looks like your chicken has a varus deformity of the right leg that may be affecting her hock tendon. It can occur in one or both legs. Treatment is usually not successful since it is a birth defect. But I would try splinting the leg with padding and vet wrap, but do not get it too tight to cut off circulation. Here is some reading about this leg bone deformity with pictures:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

upload_2018-10-20_19-27-44.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom