Baby chick with deformed feet? Update

I am experiencing the same thing right now! My chick is nw 6 days old and nothing seems to be working for her. We ahve figured out that it is slipped tendon and Janie Marie, your chick looks exactly like my chick. She can't stand and when she moves she put her wings out for balance and she is always falling on her face! We tried splints and a sling today and was NOT successful. She peeped so loud and constantly that we couldn't stand it and took the splints and sling off! We thought maybe we had the bandages on too tight but no. She will eat and drink when we hold her but she can't manage on her own. she still looks like she is a 2/3 day old chick and while her mates are much bigger! I have pics on another post and so far, I havn't had much luck. I am not sure what to do at this point. So if anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears (or eyes)!!!

My last spraddle leg chick could not stand at all, with or without the splint. She just flopped over on her side. I helped her eat and drink several times a day, and put her in a cup with lots of padding that held her legs in the correct position overnight and a few times during the day. She continued to act alert and would eat and drink, so I kept trying, even though it seemed like she would never stand on her own. I left the splint on for 4 days. By the 3rd day she was starting to stand some if I gave her some support with my finger so she wouldn't tip over to her weaker side. On the 4th day, I took the splint off just to see how she would do without it. She was still very weak, and fell over a lot, but was definitely improving. I think the cup helped her exercise her legs while they were in the right position. She didn't really like it, so she would push up to try and get out, and that helped her gain strength.

So don't give up yet, and don't try the splint for just 1 day. It can take several days to see improvement. As long as she continues to eat and drink, even if it is with assistance, keep trying to help her. The dowel rod is a good idea. With my spraddle legged chick, I would take strips of rags, and roll them up to make "pillows" to put in between her feet, over her feet and under her breast, on her sides, etc. Whatever it took to keep her in the correct position while she was in the cup.

Good luck. Keep us updated on her progress.

Sarah

She's still here. drinking water but not interested in eating anything. But she's only 1 day old so not worried about that. I really like the cup idea. I'm worried about her tipping over tonight and I'm really tired so scared I wouldn't hear her. Was it just a shallow coffee cup like container? Or maybe I'll try some sort of sling with rags. The dowel seemed to work a bit. It got so she would hop around and could maneuver somewhat. It looked quite comical! And stayed upright while she did it!! Then once I came in this eve & it had slipped some and I cant quite seem to get it positioned right again. Thanks for everyones input I really appreciate it!! Farm Chic I'm gonna look for your thread now.

Quote:
Well that sure sounds like that could be whats going on here. I hope you don't mind I'm borrowing that link to the site that explains it. Thought some people might be interested in knowing whats going on here. http://www.voy.com/194762/ She also used her wings for balance and got pretty good at hopping and keeping herself upright with her wings! And now I gotta go build a chick chair.

I'm glad to hear she is still around and agree, keep trying. My little one took a few days before she got the hang of it with the splint on. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but you might want to try some poly-vi-sol, 3 drops everyday for a week then taper off. I did this with Quincy and it really seemed to perk her up. I had to hand feed her for about 2 weeks till she got her balance. I gave her runny scrambled eggs and moistened starter food.

You are doing a great job!

Toasty warm! Tried pulling her leg straight back hoping the tendon would pop in place but she really put up a fuss!! And I was scared of breaking her leg!!! The knees are slightly swollen but not too bad. I have her in a cup now slinged up so her legs are down and she's tolerating it ...sort of!

Back
Top Bottom