baby chick with soft stool and crusty butt feathers

Hovelite

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
I have a six day old baby chick that has soft stool and all the feathers on its behind are crusty and hard. I've taken a soft paper towel and soapy water and cleaned it off. That worked but it is getting crusty again. It is not pasty butt; the stool is moving freely. Any ideas as to what this is or what I should do?

Thanks for posting this! Two of my bantams that are 4 days old seem to have crusty butt too. I peeled some off yesterday but was afraid I'd rip her skin off. I used a paper towel today. I'll try Vaseline.

Pasty butt is an actual poop plug that prevents the chick from excreting more stool. As long as your chick is pooping,eating and sleeping... I would say she is probably okay. If you are feeding treats, make sure there is grit available.

Thanks for posting this! Two of my bantams that are 4 days old seem to have crusty butt too. I peeled some off yesterday but was afraid I'd rip her skin off. I used a paper towel today. I'll try Vaseline.
Poor babies...use some warm water and cotton balls to clean their little hinies off!! :)

I held them both in my hand & soaked their butts making sure to clean the entire vent. I put a little triple antibiotic stuff on both of them. Their butts are squeaky clean .& I'm a bit traumatized. The chicks are fine. Quite active, eating a lot,& quite friendly.
I read that too much hear can cause or contribute , so I raised the light about 6 inches, they seemed hot anyway

Last edited:
I held them both in my hand & soaked their butts making sure to clean the entire vent. I put a little triple antibiotic stuff on both of them. Their butts are squeaky clean .& I'm a bit traumatized. The chicks are fine. Quite active, eating a lot,& quite friendly.
I read that too much hear can cause or contribute , so I raised the light about 6 inches, they seemed hot anyway
Yippie!!
wee.gif
I'm so happy that the little things are back on track for you....good news!

I got them some yogurt this morning & separated them into the original Rubbermaid tub broader. I put two NH reds in there with them. I mixed the yogurt with their food & set some in the big broader as a treat for the other big ones. The babies seem to be fine. The littlest one peeps a lot but so does her same breed counter part in the big brooder

Mine seems to be eating and drinking. She is growing. But she peeps loudly when she poops though. It is distinctive above the other chicks. But it comes out freely. Believe me, my first gets have gotten smeared.

Back
Top Bottom