Baby Chick with Vent Issues

furluvofchicks

Hatching
Feb 23, 2016
I have a baby chick, about 3 weeks old. He is about 1/3 the size of the other chicks. He's always been small, but seems to not have grown. He is drinking and eating. I put electrolytes and probiotic powder in the drinking water. He gets medicated starter fee. He has a protruding vent. Almost like a prolapsed cloaca, but too young, I think, to have this problem. I think he is a rooster. I gave him a little tiny bit of mineral oil as I thought that he might have some dried poop stuck as he was pushing a lot. His vent is very swollen and he looks weak, lethargic and his wings are hanging. I have him on a warming pad and covered. I make sure he continues to drink and eat. Any suggestions or ideas of how to treat this or what it is. He is pooping.

First I wan t to welcome To BYC! I am sorry you are joining us for such a reason. Be sure to check out the learning center!

Do you have a picture of your chick? that may be helpful. Are there any other chicks picking at it? if so please separate it out. I wish I could be more help, but it is not an issue I have come across. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Otherwise if you post in the illness and emergency forum you should be able to get better answers.

Wishing you good luck with the baby chicky!

Have you noticed this particular chick eating shavings, by any chance (if you even use them)?

The only time I've ever experienced anything remotely like this was when one of my Silkies decided to switch its diet from crumbles to shavings. I have no idea why the shavings became so interesting all of a sudden, but with no grit available in the brooder, it quickly became a problem. The first thing I noticed was the chick would squat to poop, nothing would come out and it would peep like crazy as if in pain. When I examined it, the vent was swollen, protruding and there was a bit of shavings sticking out. I grabbed some tweezers and (VERY gently) went exploring (theres a great mental picture for ya!). Anyway, pulling out that first bit of shavings revealed that there was quite a bit more behind it. I spent 2 or 3 days pulling shavings out of that chicks rear end, but eventually it was able to poop normally again. And this is the reason I now always keep grit available in the brooder (other benefits include exposing them to what's in the dirt to jump start their immune systems).

I still have that stopped up chick, her name is Betty. She's never particularly cared for me, though I can't imagine why :oops:

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions, thoughts and experience regarding my little Elvis. It is with a heavy heart that I have to say that I lost the little spirit a couple days ago. I am very, very sad:(

Back
Top Bottom