Baby chick won’t eat and lethargic

Anicoson12

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2023
Hey there! So I got a few Bantam chicks in the mail and one of them was really lively the first day and now it’s lethargic, moving slowly, it will only drinking if I dip it’s beak and will not eat at all. I did get it some electrolytes, raw egg yolk which it seems to like and nutri drench into it. It still this morning is acting the same. The only think I noticed is it’s crop hasn’t gone down. It’s squishy and feels like it’s full of fluid. She just stands there and falls asleep unless another one bumps her. The rest of the chicks are doing good.

How's your chick doing? Unfortunately sometimes the shipping is too hard or long on chicks, especially bantams and they don't always make it. Sounds like you are doing all you can for it.

Hey there! So I got a few Bantam chicks in the mail and one of them was really lively the first day and now it’s lethargic, moving slowly, it will only drinking if I dip it’s beak and will not eat at all. I did get it some electrolytes, raw egg yolk which it seems to like and nutri drench into it. It still this morning is acting the same. The only think I noticed is it’s crop hasn’t gone down. It’s squishy and feels like it’s full of fluid. She just stands there and falls asleep unless another one bumps her. The rest of the chicks are doing good.
It sounds like it may be Omphalitis (yolk sac infection, aka mushy chick disease) sobmaybe look into that, incl YouTube.
We bought some chicks from a local feed store in May and one became lethargic & looked swollen. Did some research & found that's not an uncommon condition, and chicks can die. Our chick got more & more tired until she could hardly move & died a week after we brought her home.
The rest of the chicks were fine.

Back
Top Bottom