Baby chick won’t move correctly! Help!

Aech

Hatching
Jun 6, 2023
Today I found my three day old chick overheated in it box. I gave it cpr and after a minute it started to breath. While I was trying to cool it down it started to move but even after an hour it can only kick it’s legs. Please tell me what I should do!

Today I found my three day old chick overheated in it box. I gave it cpr and after a minute it started to breath. While I was trying to cool it down it started to move but even after an hour it can only kick it’s legs. Please tell me what I should do!
Do you have sav a chick? Baby needs hydrated for sure. How did it overheat? Can you make sure that your set up has good airflow?

I hope you've corrected the cause of overheating. New chicks only need 80-85F if the brooder is in a room 70F or warmer.

To revive the chick, give it warmed sugar water (one teaspoon sugar to one cup water) and Poultry Nutri-drench a few drops every 30 minutes until it's acting normal.

How is the chick now? Can you give some details about your brooder? Heat source? Are you using a thermometer on the floor under the heat source? I would dip the little chick’s beak into water, and electrolytes would be good. Sugar in water 1 tsp per cup would also work. Then try to offer chick crumbles on a clean paper towel around it’s feet when it gets up.

I’m not sure who will see this but the chick passed during the night. Thank you all so much for your help and kind words!!

Do you have sav a chick? Baby needs hydrated for sure. How did it overheat? Can you make sure that your set up has good airflow?
I’m not sure what sav a chick is, Iv given it some sugar water and water down food but each time it seem too exhausted to drink much. It’s currently in a box with holes on the side. It’s chirping again but wobbles it head each time it lifts it. I had the lamp too close this morning and I left without moving it back or turning the fan on.

How is the chick now? Can you give some details about your brooder? Heat source? Are you using a thermometer on the floor under the heat source? I would dip the little chick’s beak into water, and electrolytes would be good. Sugar in water 1 tsp per cup would also work. Then try to offer chick crumbles on a clean paper towel around it’s feet when it gets up.
I’m using a heat lamp from above. I don’t have any thermometers but Iv been using my hands for testing it. It will drink a little when I dip it’s beak but it won’t eat and I don’t know how to teach it to eat.

Back
Top Bottom