Baby chick won’t move correctly! Help!

Aech

Hatching
Jun 6, 2023
Today I found my three day old chick overheated in it box. I gave it cpr and after a minute it started to breath. While I was trying to cool it down it started to move but even after an hour it can only kick it’s legs. Please tell me what I should do!

Today I found my three day old chick overheated in it box. I gave it cpr and after a minute it started to breath. While I was trying to cool it down it started to move but even after an hour it can only kick it’s legs. Please tell me what I should do!
Do you have sav a chick? Baby needs hydrated for sure. How did it overheat? Can you make sure that your set up has good airflow?

I hope you've corrected the cause of overheating. New chicks only need 80-85F if the brooder is in a room 70F or warmer.

To revive the chick, give it warmed sugar water (one teaspoon sugar to one cup water) and Poultry Nutri-drench a few drops every 30 minutes until it's acting normal.

How is the chick now? Can you give some details about your brooder? Heat source? Are you using a thermometer on the floor under the heat source? I would dip the little chick’s beak into water, and electrolytes would be good. Sugar in water 1 tsp per cup would also work. Then try to offer chick crumbles on a clean paper towel around it’s feet when it gets up.

Do you have sav a chick? Baby needs hydrated for sure. How did it overheat? Can you make sure that your set up has good airflow?
I’m not sure what sav a chick is, Iv given it some sugar water and water down food but each time it seem too exhausted to drink much. It’s currently in a box with holes on the side. It’s chirping again but wobbles it head each time it lifts it. I had the lamp too close this morning and I left without moving it back or turning the fan on.

How is the chick now? Can you give some details about your brooder? Heat source? Are you using a thermometer on the floor under the heat source? I would dip the little chick’s beak into water, and electrolytes would be good. Sugar in water 1 tsp per cup would also work. Then try to offer chick crumbles on a clean paper towel around it’s feet when it gets up.
I’m using a heat lamp from above. I don’t have any thermometers but Iv been using my hands for testing it. It will drink a little when I dip it’s beak but it won’t eat and I don’t know how to teach it to eat.

I feel I should post some back story. The only reason I have the chick is because it hatched after the mother was moved (I didn’t move her) and she wouldn’t accept it after. I couldn’t just leave it so I brought it in hoping I could still save it. I know it has spayed legs and even before the overheating it couldn’t walk and would sleep constantly.

I hope these are good, its been constantly sleeping beside when I try to get them to drink.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom