Baby chicken may be sick plz help

Ash15171717

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
So I just bought 2 baby chick and started reading an article that I looked up on Google trying to find out everything I need to know well she start talking about how the baby chicken can basically have poop get stuck in there bum and hard bc we've never had chickens when we seen this we thought it was maybe something that was just there after reading this I'm worried what should I do pictures to show what it looks like to make sure that's what's happening she said to wash the baby chicks bum till its not hard and clean it up is this what I do sorry for the run on sentences but I'm more worried about keeping this chick healthy

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_221314.jpg
    IMG_20230623_221314.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 96
So I just bought 2 baby chick and started reading an article that I looked up on Google trying to find out everything I need to know well she start talking about how the baby chicken can basically have poop get stuck in there bum and hard bc we've never had chickens when we seen this we thought it was maybe something that was just there after reading this I'm worried what should I do pictures to show what it looks like to make sure that's what's happening she said to wash the baby chicks bum till its not hard and clean it up is this what I do sorry for the run on sentences but I'm more worried about keeping this chick healthy
Pasty butt in chicks is quite common. Just use warm water, maybe a spot of Dawn, to clean it up, and keep it clean. (Please do not neglect to dry the baby after!) As far as I have been able to ascertain, only very young chicks get it.

Pasty butt in chicks is quite common. Just use warm water, maybe a spot of Dawn, to clean it up, and keep it clean. (Please do not neglect to dry the baby after!) As far as I have been able to ascertain, only very young chicks get it.
I'm not sure it's age I got it from a feed store it amazes me they didn't see it, and let us know what we should do. They knew I was a first time chicken owner I'm so happy I went and read that, I'm not sure what would have happened had I not wanted to learn everything to know if I was doing it right.😤😐😐 Then again maybe she didn't know she didn't really inspect them just grabbed them. It's def a baby though

What is your brooder set up like?
Pasty butt can be caused by heat stress, as in the brooder being too hot. I don’t know the pathophysiology behind that but it’s pretty a common problem, and it seems to occur more with certain set ups- totes, heat lamps for example.
Feed stores keep lots of chicks in brooders with heat lamps, but they don’t have much room to get away from the heat.
Clean up your chick, dry it and fluff completely. You can use a hair dryer on warm to cool help about 10-12 inches away and move/shake the dryer a bit to avoid concetrating heat on a raw bum.

I'm not sure it's age I got it from a feed store it amazes me they didn't see it, and let us know what we should do. They knew I was a first time chicken owner I'm so happy I went and read that, I'm not sure what would have happened had I not wanted to learn everything to know if I was doing it right.😤😐😐 Then again maybe she didn't know she didn't really inspect them just grabbed them. It's def a baby though
Hold the baby in your palm, face near your wrist, and run its bum under warm water. Use a drop of soap if you feel like you need to, but just rub its bum gently until it is clean. Dry it thoroughly, and check the baby a few times a day to make sure there is no more pasty butt. It could just be a one-time occurrence, and the store employee might have missed it.

Back
Top Bottom