baby chicks 8 weeks

Nett Nett

Hatching
Mar 17, 2017
5 of my 12 chicks have red skin and very warm to touch all on tummy area and bottom, feathers are not growing and their butts seem swollen?? these are all white chicks my colored chicks seem fine? could they be having a reaction to pine chips? or hay that i pick up from the yard?? Im a newbie to chicken life I also have 8 adult roosters that use the same bedding and they are fine? Anyone help me out? Please and Thanks...

Welcome to BYC. Can you post some pictures? It sounds a little suspicious like they might possibly be meat birds, such as cornish cross. Are the ones you mention larger than the others?

Now that you mention it I think they are meat birds?

These are what we always called Frankenstein chicks. The ones we had didn't live very long, and never got up to do more than eat and drink. They didn't move to poop or even groom. Could be near the end for the birds, most often they go from heart attacks. We will never do Cornish crosses again, instead freedom/red rangers. If they are family pets, they won't live long.

Do you know what the issue they are having could be? Thanks
Well, unfortunately, they are at the age of butchering.Those are the ones they sell in our meat bins in the grocery stores and most are only 6 weeks old when butchered. Many will die of heart attacks or broken legs from this age on. I would seaparate the meatties from the others, and give the other chicks a chance to get enough to eat. You can then decide if you want to butcher them, sell them on Craig's list to someone to butcher, or limit their feed so they can get around better. Some people do try to keep meat birds for a bit longer, letting them free range and limiting their diet so they don't get so big. I wish the feed stores would do a better job educating people so they don't sell these birds to those who want only layers.

Back
Top Bottom