Baby chicks all dead

tigerlilycnm

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
So I just successfully hatched 9 of 9 eggs, the last one hatching this morning. I made sure they had food and water, and then I went to work. Heating lamp is about a foot to a foot and a half above the chicks. I got home from work today to my kids calling me saying all the chicks were dead. I checked them, and they are all completely non-responsive, but their bodies aren't cold. Also if I put my fingers pressed softly up against each chick's chest, I can feel, just barely, movement in their chest like very light breathing. I realize that if they are this close to death, they are too late to save, or maybe its just my imagination and they are all dead. What could have killed them? Even if they ran out of water they just hatched within the last 2 days, and I know the yolk is suppose to keep them supplemented for up to 3 days. And could they really die of dehydration in just 8 hours, if the water could have even dried up that fast?

So they where out of water? Did you have a thermometer in the brooder?

Yes a chick that size could get dehydrated rather quickly and without access to water that could be an even bigger issue as they would use want little energy they had left from the yoke rather quickly. But i would honestly say you likely had 2 issues 1 they got over heated, either the light was to close or they didn't have space to move away from the light or it just got to hot. 2 how ever you ran out of water, well there was no water. I have had water containers leak if not set just right and the small water container i usually use for chicks and sick hens would be empty in less then 30min if it was leaking.

One thing if they are still trying pick each up and gently touch is beak to the water. You will have to do this over and over for a while with each one till they can regain strength. I'm not saying it will help they could be to far gone but if you can get them to try there is hope

How hot was it under your heat lamp? Also check your bulb to make sure it isn't shatter resistant. Those are coated with Teflon which is deadly.
The lamp I have is the one that is actually sold by Tractor Supply specifically for heat lamps for baby chicks. Producer's Pride red heat bulbs. And I had a batch of 6 we just raised up to 5 weeks and made a little coop for on the porch, and the height that the heat lamp is at is exactly the same as where I had it for the other 6.

Also, I moved them back into the incubator so I can control the temperature better. I don't even know if they can be saved. Like I said, I can barely feel their chest move when I put two fingers over each one. They are breathing so lightly that you can't even see them breath.

The lamp I have is the one that is actually sold by Tractor Supply specifically for heat lamps for baby chicks. Producer's Pride red heat bulbs. And I had a batch of 6 we just raised up to 5 weeks and made a little coop for on the porch, and the height that the heat lamp is at is exactly the same as where I had it for the other 6.
Than I would suspect they got too hot.

Just another question, are you brooding in the house? Teflon pans can be poisonous too if over heated.

Please keep dipping thief beaks in water. If you have any vitamin or electrolyte you can mix in to the water do that too. Try to watch each one after you dip thier beaks in and see if they are tying to get the water down, that would be a really good sign

So sorry to hear of your situation, as been advised keep dipping their beaks in the water (electrolytes & vitamins added). I'm thinking it got too hot, those lamps heat up an enclosed area pretty good. Not sure how your brooder is set up.

I converted from heat light to MHP, alot safer for all & happier/quieter chicks. Hope they come around...

Those heat lamps get way too hot unless your brooder is huge. I really hate thats the only choice they give you at their store. Just try your best with the little things do what you can. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom