baby chicks an heat lamo

magickcat

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hi all in a new owner of 2 Australorps' and 2 Buff Cochins'. I've been told they are about 2-3 weeks old at the present time i have them in a fish tank in the corner of my lounge room it has lined newspaper around 3 sides and a wooden lid a sml heat lamp bulb taken from a lava lamp they have a plastic bottom on the glass an layered with newspaper and breeders choice sawdust a water feeder and a pellet feeder in with them which they use well what I'm wanting to know is it necessary to leave the light on all night in concerned about their natural body clock of sleeping at night and not up walking around as having a light in 24/7 to me makes me feel wrong as if they are being caged and kept inhumane as they are not able to have a night time rest period ???? Would love some pointers,advice and tips pleaseee
i really appreciate it

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I like to use an infra red lamp. (not to be confused with the standard red bulb) It has a wave length of light that does not disturb their sleeping cycle and still works as a heat lamp. You can get these where they sell reptile supplies or on Amazon on line here too. Infra red is a very healing, penetrating light. I use it for brooding all chicks, hospital cages and any time I need heat for any bird.

Here is a nice article on brooding chicks from our learning center you might take a look at....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy your new chicks! And we do welcome you to our flock!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TWoCrows gave you a great link to check out, good luck with your chicks.

Hi all and thank you for your welcomes :)
ill source out an infra red bulb as i really like the idea of it being a healing light for them.
through gut instinct i turned the light off last night about midnight and they snuggled in quietly and went to sleep. They are up active this morning and the light is turned back on.
do you think me doing this isgoing to harm them ??
The tank as a raised lid which at the back of it has a 15 cm (could be more) gap which is open so that would be letting fresh air in and give them a small flow so they wouldn't be just under a constant heated up tank. When i place my hand in there, it doesn't feel too warm but there bodies are def really warm.. And they are happy chirping moving around foraging eating n drinking :)

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows has given you some good advice. You have two very calm and gentle breeds, and the Australorps are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Australorps and Cochins.

Back
Top Bottom