Baby Chicks and 2 Month Old Hen

krlarson

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Today my neighbor's dog destroyed all but one of my 2-month-old Rhode Island Red hens. We can get replacement chicks (week old) tomorrow. Can I put them in with the surviving hen?

First I would take care of the dog problem; make sure it's tied or penned and secure your shelter and pen. If you have the time to watch closely you can try to put the different ages together but becareful and take out the older one ASAP if any injuries occur. also may have to remove the injured smaller chick. If no time to 'chick sit' keep apart but I would try if could keep a close eye on them. Send the bill for the new chicks to the dog owner. the only way I have found to cure a dog of this behavior is a small round chunk of lead......................Best of Luck

It probably isn't going to work to try to mix your hen with new chicks -- but you could try it, carefully. Maybe while they are out and about, distracted with treats. More likely you will end up raising the chicks separately til they are the same size as the hen. If possible, do this where they can see and hear each other.

I'm so sorry about the dog.

Quote:
X2!!!!

Also, a dog that's killed chickens doesn't need to be killed if the damage has already been done (I would definitely shoot to stop a dog in the act), they simply need to be RE-HOMED away from chickens. Hopefully, your neighbor is reasonable and will do the right thing. A good way to secure your coop against dog attacks is to surround it with electric wire that delivers a good, strong zap.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom