Baby Chicks Arrived!

*** 3 Week Update ***
Well, the babies are still so darn cute! They LOVE everything I built for them. All three of them seem to learn how to get their food and water pretty quickly. They are drinking lots of crystal clear distilled water from their chick dripper and are no longer wasting more food than they eat with their Folgers Feeder. In fact, the only waste of food now is when I spill it! They seem to REALLY enjoy running back and forth between the dining room and the bedroom - thru their tunnel. Unfortunately - I did not compensate for their rapid rate of growth when designing the tunnel :( ! I will have to raise the ceiling height of the tunnel to the maximum of the plastic tubs capacity soon - or they will have to learn to belly crawl through !

Here are their three week pictures :)

Buffey weighed in the lightest of the three. Again surprise to me.
She doubled her weight. 6.03oz
View attachment 1213880 View attachment 1213881

Little Bit also doubled her weight. She still has those bare spots on her wing joints. 6.21oz
View attachment 1213884 View attachment 1213883

Gracey did not quite double her weight but still the biggest. She is starting to show the little poof on her head. 6.51 oz
View attachment 1213887 View attachment 1213888

Heres my babes. <3

Attachments

• 20171220_141556.jpg
    20171220_141556.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171220_141618.jpg
    20171220_141618.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 17
Thank you all. They seem to be doing just fine. I have witnessed every one of them eat, drink and poop! They have been eating almost non stop since they arrived. I don't know if we will ever order babies online again - it was very stressful worrying about their wellbeing & shipping is VERY pricey and pretty much non-refundable. MPC offers your money back on the chickens if they are not alive for 48 hours & if they send you a Roo, but the shipping costs way more than the birds! and is likely never to be refunded. But, the babies did arrive - just the 3 of them, like we ordered. We are very happy and relieved. Looking forward to watching them grow, thrive and become members of our flock.

Here are a little better pictures of our two Cream Legbar's and one Buff Orpington.View attachment 1198874 View attachment 1198876 View attachment 1198877
If you dont mind me asking what the cost was for the chicks and then for the shipping?

If you dont mind me asking what the cost was for the chicks and then for the shipping?
Chicks are not expensive - anywhere from $3 to $30 each (on average). Shipping is very high. Depends on where you are and which hatchery you choose. My shipping was around $50. MANY hatcheries require a minimum quantity to ship. ALL have a minimum of 10 to 15 birds when shipping in the winter. I ordered mine on the last shipping date where a minimum of 3 birds would ship.

Are those Cream Legbars? Adorable! I hope I can move my girls outside soon - but I have no electricity where the birds are :( I think I will try to find them a PlayPen. Looks like they may be inside with us for some time.
They are easter eggers. I built the brooder box onto the back of my house so i didnt have to use extension cords and only moved them so early because my inside box was just way too small for all 12 of them and they were to stinky for my mom to breathe i thought (she has copd) they are right outside my back door and i check on them often.

Back
Top Bottom