baby chicks dying

drdrew

Chirping
Jan 2, 2023
lebanon
i have 34, 10 day old baby chicks they have been doing perfectly fine since they hatched in the incubator
usually when i reach in the brooder to fill water and feed they start running around
today as i was filling their waterers i found some of them just sitting still eyes shut and chirping so i removed them from the brooder to get a closer look and they couldnt walk
some were walking backwards then stopping and then sitting down again eyes shut
they 2 of them fall on their sides and just stay there they don’t even try getting up if i don’t intervene
now i seperated the ones that seem affected and i put them in a seperate crate with a lamp food and water but theyre just sitting and chirping almost lifeless
last year i had the same thing happen to me i had 18 chicks and some of them started acting weird walking backwards and just sitting eyes shut and then i lost all of them they started dying one after the other (last year i hadn’t given them any vaccine but now these have had the first vaccine)
now none have died yet but they arent well
i’m feeding them regular chick starter feed and after what happened last year i stopped giving them tap water they drink bottled water
what could be their problem and is it treatable ?

Attachments

• IMG_5629.jpeg
    IMG_5629.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 47
Do you have chick grit in the brooder for them to eat? Are you raising them on pine shavings?

Can you provide overall pictures of your large and small brooder?

Where did you get the chicks from?
yes i’m using pine shavings
i incubated them at home i have a small incubator

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 15
just regular pine shavings
I've actually been having this same exact problem with my meat birds. It was suggested that the chicks were eating the shavings and since they didn't have any grit to grind u the shavings with, they were getting stuck in their abdomens and blocking things up. What do feed them out of? And do they almost seem to get stiff before they die?

I've actually been having this same exact problem with my meat birds. It was suggested that the chicks were eating the shavings and since they didn't have any grit to grind u the shavings with, they were getting stuck in their abdomens and blocking things up. What do feed them out of? And do they almost seem to get stiff before they die?
i’m still putting the feed in a plastic bowl i haven’t given them a specific feeder theyre still young
i’ve never had this problem with meat birds
and i have raised chicks a dozen times but this has only happened last year when they all died and this time
i dont know none of them have died yet but theres 3 that look very close to it theyre just sitting down eyes shut one of them has it’s head on the ground and chirping loudly

i’m still putting the feed in a plastic bowl i haven’t given them a specific feeder theyre still young
i’ve never had this problem with meat birds
and i have raised chicks a dozen times but this has only happened last year when they all died and this time
i dont know none of them have died yet but theres 3 that look very close to it theyre just sitting down eyes shut one of them has it’s head on the ground and chirping loudly
Maybe it's coccidiosis. Have you ever tried putting Corid in their water?

Maybe it's coccidiosis. Have you ever tried putting Corid in their water?
no i haven’t put anything in their water
but it’s eacalating very rapidly
a couple hours ago they were all running around now this ones not even trying to get up it’s just chirping really loud

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom