Baby chicks eyes pecked at

stormrobin

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Idaho
So I bought some chicks and was given a free one because it's eyesnhad been pecked at and thought to be blind. I'm not sure she is blind I can see her eyes? Behind her closed lid. And she seems to respond when I move my finger in front of her. She drinks sometimes when she steps on the water dish and I made mushy food for her. Should I try cleaning her eyes? They look bruised and bloody. I don't want to damage her eyes further or hurt her. She's a lively little thing. Runs around with her two brooder buddies although she does bump into the walls. One of her brood mates also won't open her eyes. She seems sleepy all the time too. Her eyes were open and fine when I bought her yesterday.

chicks can die pretty quickly.

I would be worried.I would rinse out the eyes with saline. Or use a very soft cloth soaked in warm water o gentle clean the eyes and remove any goop.

Make sure the chicks are warm enough and help them/encourage them to eat until their crops are good and full.

chicks can die pretty quickly.

I would be worried.I would rinse out the eyes with saline. Or use a very soft cloth soaked in warm water o gentle clean the eyes and remove any goop.

Make sure the chicks are warm enough and help them/encourage them to eat until their crops are good and full.
Even the chick that looks a little bloody?

I used a red light. The two chicks in with her don't pecked at her. It was before I bought her when she was with a lot of other chicks. I'm just so soft hearted and want to do everything I can to help her.

Hm... I'd suggest giving her some time to heal after you try the warm water trick. If she squirms- maybe let her be. I am sorry but other than the red light I don't have much experience with eye pecking. I wish you luck and hope she heals.

I would also get some Poultry Nutri-Drench and put it in the water, add 3 TBSP sugar per qt. for a couple of days also. Be sure to change out the water every 24 hours if you add anything to it. I'd be more worried about the lethargic chick than the chick with the pecked eyes. You do need to be sure to offer the wounded chick plenty of food and water often. Be sure to put the feed and water in the same place all the time, and provide a high contrast so that if she does have any sight, she can respond to the visual contrast.

While you hope to save this chick, it's never in the best interests of the flock to take on a problem child. This problem child may become a disease or behavior issue for you in the future.

I would also get some Poultry Nutri-Drench and put it in the water, add 3 TBSP sugar per qt. for a couple of days also. Be sure to change out the water every 24 hours if you add anything to it. I'd be more worried about the lethargic chick than the chick with the pecked eyes. You do need to be sure to offer the wounded chick plenty of food and water often. Be sure to put the feed and water in the same place all the time, and provide a high contrast so that if she does have any sight, she can respond to the visual contrast.

While you hope to save this chick, it's never in the best interests of the flock to take on a problem child. This problem child may become a disease or behavior issue for you in the future.
I added some electrolytes and probiotics to the water. Sleepy chick perked up for a bit but this evening she crashed and moved on. ),: the one with pecked eyes seems to see shadows. Her water is in a dark blue dish and I've watched her find it and drink and food is in a shallow plate that she can walk into and I've seen her peck at the food. I still don't think she's eating a bunch but enough to keep her perky. Thank you for the advice. If I need to I can keep her separate in a safe enclosure. :)

Back
Top Bottom