Baby Chicks keep dumping out their food

ufgrad98

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Hi. I'm very new to raising chickens--we got ours yesterday:) They are doing great, but they keep taking the food out of their chick feeder and dumping it on the floor of the brooder. They aren't knocking over the feeder--more like just putting their beaks in and being sloppy. But, a LOT of food keeps getting on the floor of the brooder. How can I prevent this from happening and do I need to constantly clean it up, or let them eat the food off the floor as well as from their feeder?? I just filled the feeder up and within a few minutes, it was all over the floor again. Please help!
Thanks!

Chickens are big food wasters! That is just their nature.

welcome-byc.gif
. Remember, no question is silly... Ask anything! We are here to help!

Last edited:
Mine will actually climb in their feeder and scratch like they are looking for food while in there. I just leave it on the floor and then they do their scratching on the floor and clean up the food they have spilled.

Don't expect them to change as they get older and mopre "mature". It is because of the nature of the way they peck and scratch for food. You can do some things to lower how much gets wasted - What type of feeder are you using?

Quote:
do you refill the food container or let them eat whats on the floor first?

Quote:
the little round one with several holes in it for baby chicks.

I think I know which one you are referring to - In that case, when they start getting a little taller you can run some twine through it and elevate it by hanging it form a beam over the brooder (or however you can hand it in your situation) so they must stand erect when they eat. That should help a little even though they will knock out food when they do their sideway face roll in the food. Make sure there nowhere for them to jump up onto the actual feeder and you should be good.

Quote:
do you refill the food container or let them eat whats on the floor first?

I usually let them eat what is on the floor before I refill their container. They get a bedding change once a week so any food they haven't gotten will get picked up then but I think they just like scratching and searching for food. I am hoping that they will stop doing this in their feeder once they get access to outdoors and all the bugs and yummies out there.

Back
Top Bottom